Thursday, October 9, 2008

What the HECK is wrong with ME!???


I have just been completely and TOTALLY humbled (I'll get to why in a minute).  


Reeves has a poster project due tomorrow on jaguars.  We have known about the project for almost a week, but because of the craziness of the past few days, well, we didn't get to it till tonight.  On top of it all, I have been gone all day long.  Thursdays are typically hard days anyway because, frankly, the kids are DONE.  By Thursday, they are so exhausted from a week of school and it is hard to get them to focus on anything!

I don't handle chaos well.  When the house is messy (specifically the kitchen and the clutter of all the "stuff" of childhood), I don't behave concentrate well.  I usually take time before Reeves gets home (while the girls are resting/napping) to "gather" myself.  I make sure all the dishes are done, the laundry is under control, the clutter of the morning is put away, etc.  I try to have a snack or some tea and just ready myself for the evening.  I like to have dinner started (or at least decided upon), and get ready to spend some quality time with all of them (specifically Reeves) in the afternoon.  That is the ideal scenario.  

I flew in this afternoon (after a day at the salon in my hometown while my mother entertained the girls followed by a nice visit with my mom....that was a really nice part of the day), grabbed Reeves from my friend Amy's house, and hurried home to get going on the project (and dinner and laundry and dishes and other homework...you get my drift).  I knew that we couldn't wait till Greer was asleep because that would be too late.  Well, it was a bit chaotic, and well, I kind of went a little crazy.  I was being short with the kids (and Chris) and just in general acting like a lunatic.  After a reality check by my dear, sweet husband, I cooled my jets, and things ended up going much better.  

Reeves is really proud of the way the poster turned out, and he can't wait to show it off tomorrow.  I told him how sorry I was, and he told me he was sorry for fighting with Lucy.  How sweet is that.  The truth is, he is as much of a perfectionist as I am.  We both wanted it to be great and we both went a little nuts.  I learned a few lessons and pray that I will do better next time.  

Oh, and for the humbling part....

I follow the blog and caring bridge of a little girl named McKaylee Borklund.  The Borklunds live in my area, and we have mutual friends.  Jessica (McKaylee's mom) doesn't post on her blog very often (I suppose that when you have a baby fighting a massive brain tumor at St Jude's Hospital, you wouldn't have much time to blog either), but when she does....it is simply UNBELIEVABLE!!!  I beg you to please go and read her post from tonight, and if you have time, go back and read all of her posts (there aren't too many so it shouldn't take long).  They are some of the most amazing words and meditations I have ever read, and I pray that a miracle happens in their lives.  Please keep them in your prayers, and if you have time, continue to follow their story, as I am.  Tonight she reminded me to hold on to every moment I have with my children.    

After reading her post, boy did my little fit over the chaos of my house and "to do" list seem petty and ridiculous.  I pray that God will help me to have even an OUNCE of the faithfulness that sweet Jessica has.  This post was just what I needed tonight...praise be to God for her raw honesty and strength!  
  
I believe in a Miracle for McKaylee!!!

2 kind words:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for that same miracle! McKaylee's dad, Stephen, and my hubby work for the same company. My sweet hubby's a prayer warrior and he's praying for this miracle too.
Isn't it a small world.

Lindsay said...

Yes - it seems even the "littlest" of things put us in our place, don' tthey? I check two others on caringbridge and am humbled by what I read everyday...I don't know if I have the strength to read yet another sick child's story - but I'm sure I will. Prayers help, always. thanks for this - great post!