Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Their Point of View," Episode 1

I like to figure out what my kids are thinking (or how they view things) by throwing out an open ended question and seeing what they come up with.  I like to call these questions my little "experiments," and they usually end up being quite enlightening and usually hilarious.  The car is my favorite place to conduct an "experiment", but I have been known to do it whenever the mood hits me.  


So tonight seemed the perfect night as we headed out to the PTO Open House at Reeves' school.  Skylar, Lucy's buddy, was even with us, so I got her perspective, too.  Here was the question for tonight....

"Hey y'all!  What does it mean to be married?"

Lucy:  "It means that you change your name."
Me:  "Really?  Is that what you think?"
Lucy:  "Yeah....so Mommy, what was your name last year?  I mean, what was your name before you married Daddy?" to Lucy, last year was a really long time ago!
Me:  "Well, my last name used to be Rutland?"
Lucy:  "RUTLAND!?  You mean like Charcey and Papa are "The Rutlands?"  Was that when you lived at their house?"
Me:  "Yes Lucy"
Lucy:  "No, what was your NAME?  I mean, what was your REAL name before you were married."
Me:  "Well, Lucy, it was Megan Elizabeth Rutland."  at this point, I am figuring out that she thinks that I had a COMPLETELY different name....first name included!

I'm thinking that we need to have a conversation about what the real meaning of marriage is.....like that it's more than just changing your name.

More "experiments" to come!

1 kind words:

Aspiemom said...

That's funny that she thought you had a totally different name. You never know what is going on in their heads.

I always liked the car for special talks, too.