Friday, October 10, 2008

I tried!


For those of you who think I have it all together (and now that I am pouring my life out in this blog there are fewer and fewer of you who think that anymore!), this post will make you feel a little better about the crazy life we mothers really lead.

While Lucy and I enjoyed a day at the farm with her class, Chris went to be the "mystery reader" for Reeves' 1st grade class.  The kids live for Fridays (who doesn't) because that is when they get a surprise visit from someone special.  The mystery reader chooses a couple of books to share, and then the kids get to ask questions and such.  Reeves has been wondering when one of us would finally show up to do it, and he was beside himself with excitement when he and his classmates returned from lunch to find his daddy in the special red chair reserved for the mystery reader.  I mean, it is like being Rock Star for the day

When we were at the library for storytime this week, I picked up a book for Chris to share.  It looked cool enough (it was about a snake who chews bubblegum).  Since Reeves is a big bubblegum (and snake) fan, I thought he would enjoy it.....needless to say, it didn't receive the proper screening (I will admit that I did not read through the entire book).  Let's just say that the children were appropriately horrified by the book.  The plot included a rattlesnake who bites through a boy's pants to get to his gum.  I told Chris that if he had any sense he should have stopped reading it, but he figured I knew what I was doing by sending it.  I think that I shouldn't bear the entire responsibility for this one.  What do you think?  I mean, I have plenty of things on my plate as it is, right?  Lesson learned, I guess.

Thank goodness it was NOT the only book he brought to read.  I am praying that "The Stinky Cheese Man" made a bigger impression than the scary snake story (although come to think of it, "The Stinky Cheese Man" carries it's own set of questionable content....)

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow!!!

1 kind words:

Lindsay said...

Oh - you're not alone. For our first trip to the library since we moved here I got all excited and just grabbed books that looked good (by the cover)...got them home and 7 out of 8 of them were horrible! Horrible to the point I brought them back the next day! Why do they have such books at the library, anyway?? Ugh. Hope the kids didn't have nightmares! LOL.