Monday, October 13, 2008

How Sweet it Is!

It was one of those days that I just savor with all my being.  I just have to tell you about it.


It was nothing too extraordinary, really.  Basically, I spent the day at home with my baby girl (and sadly, she has a little cold).  We were lazy, and we just spent some good quality time together.  It couldn't have been sweeter!

I really love what I do (professionally speaking), and if I haven't mentioned it before, I feel like being a nurse is one of the things God has called me to do.  I work with many nurses who aren't really called to do it, and they are basically miserable.  Not me.  In my work as a nurse, I am fulfilling one of the many calls God has placed upon my life.  In doing that, I am filled.  In fact, my cup runneth over!  Even though it is a calling, it doesn't mean it's not freakin' exhausting at times.  Oh, my friend, it IS!  I worked hard this weekend, and all I wanted to do today was rest.  Rest with my babies!  

I know it may sound a bit crazy to some of you, but working makes my time with my kids all the more sweeter.  I truly feel like a SAHM most of the time.  I mean, technically, I am a SAHM.  I only work one day during the week (and "Daddy Days" every other weekend), and the kids barely know I'm gone.  All that to say, the time I am with them is purely wonderful.  I think that my time away makes me appreciate it even more.  I don't know how those of you that SAH all the time do it.  I really admire you.  It is the hardest job there is!!!  I know that I am a better mom when I have some time to do something that is a passion for me, and being a nurse is definitely one of my passions.  

But, it's all about balance, and today I soaked in some baby love.  After Greer woke up from her morning nap, I sat and held her in the rocking chair for what seemed like an eternity.  I let her rub my face, poke at my eye, stick her fingers in my mouth.  I kissed her lips and stroked her head and smelled her breath.  Her sweet smell is intoxicating.  I cooed with her, and sang with her, and listened to her sweet angel voice.  I love her more than I can describe, and I feel like she is an angel sent to me from my wonderful Father.  I know she is.  All of my babies are.  

We stayed in PJ's most of the day, and then we spent a fun afternoon with the rest of our brood.  Reeves and Lucy filled our afternoon with fun and laughter, and we had a yummy dinner (and I even manned the grill ALL BY MYSELF while the boys were across the street for Flag Football practice).  My life is full of wonderful blessings, and days like today are treasures in my heart.  

3 kind words:

JaniceFry said...

I just love you and your beautiful family!And I'm so glad you know what is important in life! As a mom of 5, I often used to do the same thing (rocking my babes), and I have vivid memories of me rocking each one of them and thinking, "I want to remember this!" Guess what? I do! I also remember worrying about the messy house, etc. but now I can't remember what the "messy house" looked like and yet it is a reminder of where I was at that time in my life! Like, who cares if they baseboards are dirty?! (Or, as was in my case, a MOUNTATIN of clothes in the laundry room!)....You keep rocking that baby! You're making memories for you AND by journaling it, Greer will get to read it one day and be blessed and thankful! LOVE YOU! mama fry

Emily said...

Reading your blog makes me yearn for the day that I have children. Ever since I was a young girl I have wanted babies and kids and a husband. You are an amazing mother and I love that you are doing what God has called you to do. Nurses who love their jobs are far more better and more passionate then those who are miserable. Its great to have people like you in the world! Happy tuesday!

Tracy said...

I have a family full of nurses and it's truly a thankless job. Nurses are the backbone of our care system and they deserve SO much more credit than what's given to them. I admire you for being a nurse!!

Also...stay in p.j.'s days are the best! It seems that on the days that we decide to do it though, someone always shows up unexpectedly and I feel like such a bad mom because I look so frumpy and my kids aren't even dressed...lol. Oh well...we need those days to recharge sometimes! :)

~Tracy