Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Power of Song

Tonight was another great night with my small group girls!  We look forward to our time together, and it is always good to be around a strong circle of faithful friends.  I hope I am doing it justice!  It has been a really long time since I have truly led a Bible study.  Frankly, I feel like I am not really doing a great job, but they all seem to really be getting a lot out of it (or maybe they are just telling me that!).  Thank goodness for a great guide book and videos!!!  It is "Stepping Up" by Beth Moore, and for all of us, it is very timely and unbelievably relevant. 


Tonight, the video was basically about the power of songs in our life (specifically our spiritual life).  I can define just about every spiritual experience I have had with a song or compilation of songs (and about every NOT so spiritual one, too).  Music has always been a passion for me.  I miss the time in my life when music was literally part of my daily routine, and pray that one day I can get back to my roots in the real art of music (fyi I used to be rather talented on the viola, piano, and flute...who knew!?).

I suppose I have a decent voice, but I would NEVER, EVER attempt to sing in public (I only really let loose in church when I am alone in the "cry room" with my baby!).  But when I am alone, in my car, well....Betty bar the door!!!  

I let GO, ya'll!  I worship so deeply, so unbelieveably, that it is almost too hard to describe. Sometimes I don't even remember how I got to my destination (ok, I realize that that is a scary thought).  I simply get completely caught up in worship and prayer and praise!!!  This time alone in my car with my music is HOLY to me (and I don't care WHO is looking at me like I am a crazy person.  At least I drive a mini van with tinted windows and for all they know I am talking to my kids!).  

I shared with my girls about a specific worship experience I had with music in my car one time.  I was really struggling with some things (specifically, I was struggling with convincing my commitment fearing wonderful, future husband to fall in love with me), and I found the first Nichole Nordeman album just before a drive home to visit my parents (who live about an hour away).  That drive literally changed my spiritual life forever.  Frankly, I don't know how to describe the experience except that through her music, her words, I began to see my Father in a different way.  I wish I could share that with her one day....it really shaped who I have become in my faith.  It was amazing!

All this to say, I pray for all of you to have some life changing, amazingly spiritual, monumental moments by praising God in song....you never know how it may impact your relationship with Him.  You just have to start listening.... 

1 kind words:

lenwa said...

ahhh! i remember when you were obsessed with Nichole Nordeman...for good reason.

and i remember chris' commitment fearing ways...you guys are perfect together! i'm so glad you gave him a big nudge... :o)

much love!