Sunday, October 5, 2008

We're so much better today!

We Reeves made it through the night with no more sick episodes.  Reeves actually slept on Nana's bed (our dog, not his grandmother!).   I slept with Lucy in case she decided to join in the fun, but so far so good.  I actually decided that Greer's incident was just the result of massive overeating....that girl can P.U.T. it A.W.A.Y.!  She woke up happy and ready to chow down and is now back down for her morning nap.  


We'll take it easy for the rest of the day.  I won't expose my church family to this awful bug and maybe nobody else will take the fall.  Reeves loves his pirate costume and has been making us all "walk the plank" all morning.  Right now he and Lucy are drawing and cutting and pasting at the kitchen table.  Chris promised him that they would try to make it to another game before the season is over.  We may have to have a prayer meeting the night before that trip (oh, and some annointing with oil and laying on of hands)!

I have to pass along the best advice I got out of this whole blessed event.  I mentioned that this is our first real serious stomach bug, and even though I am a nurse, I wasn't sure how to ease back into drinking/eating.  This came from 2 sources (my dad and my friend Amy in Nashville):  

After they throw up, don't let them eat or drink anything for 1 hour.  After 1 hour, give 1 teaspoon of tea or gatorade (we did 7 up and it worked well, too).  If they keep that down for 30 minutes offer another teaspoon 30 minutes later.  It they keep that down move it to 1 teaspoon every 15 minutes.  Once they keep that down, move to 1 tablespoon every 15 minutes.  If at any time they get sick again, go back to nothing for 1 hour and start over again.  It is a little tedious but it works to condition the tummy to take on fluids again and also they do not gulp down too much liquid.  I used a small medicine cup (the one with the measurements written on it) to let him take the sips.  

Thanks for the advice guys....it really worked!

0 kind words: