Friday, October 3, 2008

Last night it was the salsa

If I wasn't already convinced that God has a sense of humor, the events of last night might have surprised me. But I know that he does, and well, it didn't surprise me too much.

In our house, a good night's sleep is hard to come by. There is about as much activity going on in the house in the night as there is in the day. I will admit that it took me a really long time to get used to it. I am pleased to say that I am actually very skilled at sleeping, and I am praying that those healthy sleep habits return easily when my children have all left the nest....or maybe a little sooner if I'm lucky.

In the meantime, I have become skilled at surviving my days on very little sleep. I was never one of those lucky ones whose baby slept through the night after 2 weeks....nope. Greer is the best, to date, and as evidenced by the events of last night, it's not something she has totally mastered. When she gives me at least 2 weeks of solid sleeping through the night I may be convinced. As for Reeves and Lucy, well, you just never know what type of night you're going to get. I will say this though, after a major intervention (it took some serious patience) I am proud to say that we have a great bedtime routine going. We just tuck 'em in and down the stairs we go....usually without a fight!

So anyway, I just thought I would give you an example of a typical night.....there is always a little twist added in for some good fun!

Last night it was the salsa!

6:04 pm Took kiddos to the park with Angela for a little playtime. Chris at home, alone (ahh)!
7:11 pm Get home, Chris takes Greer to give her a bath
7:13 pm Settle Lucy and Reeves in with chocolate mocha cake that Angela sent home with us
7:20 pm Go out to put up the bikes and stuff that is all over the lawn
7:21 pm Realize that I left the stroller at the park
7:24 pm Let Chris know I have to drive BACK to the park to get the stroller
7:31 pm Talk to my sister Erin on the drive to and from the park while enjoying the peace and quiet of twilight
7:40 pm Back home again, Chris has just gotten Greer down, Lucy has fallen asleep on the couch in her clothes and shoes
7:52 pm Change Lucy into her pajamas and move her to bed (she doesn't even wake up), Chris tucks Reeves in without a fight
8:01 pm DVR going, pack backpacks, wrap a babyshower gift, pick up toys and clothes, consider that the chocolate cake may come back to bite me, fold a load of laundry
8:17 pm Settle down to watch the Debate
8:39 pm Chris goes to sleep/watch a movie in our room
9:55 pm Realize that I have to make salsa for the babyshower at work tomorrow 10:10 pm Taste salsa....OMG the FIRE !!!!
10:15 pm Flushing out my eyes, brushing my teeth, BURNING LIKE I'M ON FIRE!!!!, washing my swollen face, tears streaming down my face, fingers burning....
10:40 pm Finally calming down, can't sleep yet, too exhausted to get up and change the channel
10:55 pm Can't take it anymore, am convinced nightmares to come, get up and turn off "Silence of the Lambs" (I mean how stupid am I....I hate scary movies!)
11:07 pm The last time I remember looking at the clock
2:04 am I hear Lily (our miracle cat) crying at the door, realize I forgot to let her in. Nana follows me to the door
2:07 am Turn off all of the lights I left on all over the house during my "FACE ON FIRE" frenzy, Nana following me around
2:17 am Last time I remember looking at the clock (this time)
3:03 am Greer crying
3:15 am Greer Still Crying
3:35 am Finish feeding Greer (which I told myself she COULDN't possibly need!), Nana at the foot of the rocking chair
4:01 am Back to sleep again, Nana back to sleep again
5:04 am Phone rings, "Megan, this is Jennifer, would you like to be on call?" hmm "No, I'll be there"
5:25 am Reeves comes and crawls in our bed, he wants his "my my" (aka, the most loved blanket in history), I make Chris go get it (and I am able to tell him it's precise location)
5:28 am Reeves wants juice, I send Reeves to the couch with Chris (who is up already)
6:00 am Alarm goes off
6:09 am Snooze goes off


Wonder what surprise God has in store for tonight?

0 kind words: