Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Verdict

Today did NOT turn out as I had planned...to say the very least!  I have struggled with some right sided pain and discomfort (along with a few other lovely symptoms) off and on for the past year or so.  This week has been exceptionally more uncomfortable, and I decided it would be best to make a visit to the doctor.  


My first plan of attack was to find a doctor.  Just so happens that I have several trusted girlfriends who have been using a little practice that is right down the road, and I decided that they would be just fine.  I was beyond impressed with the care and service they (and I say they because the office staff was just as nice and helpful as the sweet Doctor himself!) gave me.  

Dr. B got me scheduled for all sorts of tests, managed to have me squeezed in with a very good surgeon at the hospital of my choice, and did it in record time.  As a woman with a lot of experience in the medical world, this is quite an impressive feat.  Thanks so much Dr. B....I will be recommending you to all of my friends and neighbors!

Long story short....

Lab Work = Normal
Ultrasound = No stones (that was  the biggie!)
Hydascan (which, btw, is NOT my most favorite memory of the day) = well, I don't know the exact results, but I do know this....

I have something called "biliary dyskinesia"  and basically, I was given a couple of options.  Dr. S (the very well respected general surgeon) told me that 1/3 of patients with biliary dyskinesia are able to get the attacks under control with dietary changes.  The other 2/3 aren't, and opt for removal of the gallbladder (via laprascopic surgery).  

Soooo....

I am opting to wait it out and pray for relief from this round....at least till things aren't so crazy.  With Halloween, Greer's laser treatment coming up on Tuesday, and a trip to New York City planned for November 13, I have a bit too much on my plate as it is.  I was not ready to opt for any sort of surgery if I could help it.  Don't get me wrong, I realize that I have to take care of myself, but if I have an option....I'm waiting.  

Please pray for complete relief to come....at least till we get back from NYC.  I am doing my best to modify my diet, and am praying that the pain subsides soon.  It is pretty dismal, I must say!  

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, prayers, words of encouragement, and of course for helping me get things taken care of today!  Honey took off half a day and came to be with Greer and Lucy so that Chris could work, and Amy E and Jake took Reeves home for the afternoon....you don't know how grateful I am for friends and family who are there for me in times like these!  I love you all!!

I am looking forward to the fun of tomorrow, and some exciting events this weekend.  Good times will at least distract me from this discomfort....but I'm praying for it to just GO AWAY!  


2 kind words:

Anna said...

i'm so sorry to hear about this! i know finding out why is half the battle. we will be praying that diet will help and no surgery will be needed! hope you're feeling better! i do love your blog :)

Huck said...

cant believe you had the GALL to share that. hang in there!