Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

Our Lives In a Nutshell

So I've been banking up a few good recipes over the past few weeks, and I thought this blog carnival hosted by my very sick, newly pregnant friend Lindsay would be the perfect way to highlight a few of them.  

Cooking is one of my passions, and I like to think that I'm getting better and better as the years go by (well, that's what I'm telling myself anyway!).  I've combined "fundamentally classic and sure to please" skills from my mom with "creative, throw whatever happens to be in the fridge" skills from my dad.  I think it's given me a pretty good balance in the culinary department (if I do say so myself)....

Here is ONE of the delights that I have come up with this month (thanks for the basic idea, Mom!).  It's one of those "trust me" recipes.  Let me know what you think!!!

Easy Shrimp and Grits

1 cup quick grits (the 5 minute variety)
4 cups of water
salt to taste
8 ounces of Velveeta Cheese
1 can of Rotel (juice and all)
1 pound sausage
1 pound peeled, de-veined large Gulf Shrimp
1 TBS. minced garlic
4 TBS olive oil or 1/2 stick of butter

In a large skillet, brown the sausage.  Set aside.  Melt the Velveeta in a large saucepan (I cut it into cubes to make it melt quicker) and add the can of Rotel.  Heat till the Velveeta is completely melted.  Add in the sausage.  Combine grits, water, and salt in another large saucepan.  Cook on High heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Set aside.  In large skillet, combine butter or oil and garlic till hot and sizzlin'.  Saute shrimp in the butter till cooked through (just a few minutes).  Combine grits and Velveeta Mixture.  Spoon onto individual bowls, top with shrimp, and serve.  

(Do you think I should call it Redneck Shrimp and Grits?)

I swear...it is to. die. for.
Trust me


1 kind words:

Lindsay said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I don't know what's better - the fact that you're partaking in your first Tasty Tueday, or the fact that you posted a SHRIMP recipe?! Seriously - that sounds delicious, so when I'm feeling a little adventurous in the kitchen and when I won't ralph on it all, I'm going to make that for my dear hubby, who has been cooking for the past 6 weeks. Nummmmmmmo! thanks!!!