Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So, it turns out I have Asthma

First of all, I am happy to report that I am feeling MUCH better!  I haven't had a fever since yesterday, and I was sort of feeling silly sitting in my doctor's office this morning waiting for what seemed like forever  as my precious Mother's Day Out minutes ticked away.  I felt like I was just wasting time getting ready to hear "Hey, you're fine...go home."  On a positive note, I did manage to get a good chunk of the second Twilight book read, but I digress.

So after the long wait, I got called back.  Dr. B (who is just about the greatest doctor ever, and if you live in my general area, I'd be happy to recommend him with all my heart) and I chatted for a bit (we have some mutual friends, and he knows I'm a nurse).  After some catchin' up, he asked me what's been going on.  I told him, well, "I've had this cough for like a month and then on Sunday I started having fever and chills and aches (and generally feeling like crap  yucky) and well today, I feel a lot better.  I'm only here now to appease my mother and my husband, and I guess I still do have the cough."  

He proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions about my general "respiratory health".  Turns out, I have a LOT of key markers for ASTHMA....   Seriously, I was shocked.  It hadn't even CROSSED my mind.  So I am now taking an oral med for asthma, have an inhaler in my pocket, and I'll be using a peak flow meter everyday for a while to figure out where I stand.  I'm not that worried about it, but it just sorta surprised me.  I left there with a bunch of samples, a good dent in my book, and a big ole pain in my booootay!

The kids were very impressed that I had a shot today (of steroids) and that I didn't get a treat.  I tried to convince them that eating Chick fil A alone in my car listening to my own choice of music was a treat, but they were NOT impressed by that!

All in all, it was an enlightening day, and I am happy to know what might be is wrong with me!  

I'll keep you posted on the progress (and speaking of progress...I lost 3 pounds this week.  WOOOHOOOO!)

Night friends!

P.S.  Steroids can help you accomplish AMAZING things!!!  I might need to schedule one of these every month or so....

P.P.S.  I had planned to add on a REALLY cool mommy tip to this post (it has to do with medicating/sick kids), but I'll save it for tomorrow.  It's so good, it deserves a whole entire post!

Night friends!  I'm off to do another load of laundry!!!

  

2 kind words:

Unknown said...

I pray that you will feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Who is your Dr.?