Monday, January 19, 2009

One Year Ago Today...Remembering Bronner


Tears are streaming down my face as I type this post.  I remember this day...actually this night (one year ago) like it was yesterday.  I was only 9 days postpartum and sleeping as soundly as any new mother does, when I learned that little Bronner (aka Cornbread) had gone to be with Jesus.  

Chris (my sweet husband who is also known as Christopher Columbus on the "Rick and Bubba" radio show) woke me out of a dead sleep (it was probably close to midnight) to tell me that Speedy had just called to tell him that Rick and Sherri had lost their precious baby boy, Bronner.  

At first I thought I was having a nightmare....a horrible nightmare!  I sat straight up and had him tell me again.  Suddenly I realized that it wasn't a nightmare and that what he was telling me was the worst news any parent can hear!!!

I didn't sleep a wink that night, and I felt nauseated as I lay there thinking of the pain they must be feeling.  It was like my heart was beating outside my chest and my tears would not stop flowing.  

The days that followed are a blur.  Phone calls, visitation, hugging our friends who had lost their precious baby boy, not having the words to say.  Praying, praying, praying!!! 

I will never forget what happened at the visitation.  It is beyond imagination, really.  We stood in line for what felt like hours.  I can't even begin to tell you how many came out to mourn with this amazing family in this tragic time.  When we came to the time where we would be able to share our deep condolences....do you know what happened?  Rick hugged me deeply, and he said "I am SO sorry for what you have been through with your little baby this week!"  Can you believe that?  I was so in awe of his faith and courage and compassion.  Here was a man, a man who had just LOST his baby, and he was comforting ME!  He went on to challenge my sweet husband.  He challenged him in some very personal ways that I won't share here, but needless to say, we left there Changed!

We had been there when Sherri shared the news with Rick for the first time that he would soon be a father of 5!  It was a priceless moment as all of his closest friends and family gathered together to celebrate his birthday.  To say he was shocked is an understatement, but once Cornbread came into the world, there was nothing but immense, unconditional love for that sweet baby boy!  Rick and Sherri loved Bronner with all their heart, soul, and mind!

I am praying for our friends today.  They are in Isreal as I type this....they are remembering sweet Bronner today.  I ask that you lift up prayers for them and pray that they return home safely.

If you don't know who the heck I am talking about, I encourage you to visit the Rick and Bubba website.  Mostly, I encourage you to take time to listen to the message that Rick shared at Bronner's Memorial Service (you will have to click on the Bronner Memorial Page and look for "A Father's Heart").  

Amazing, incredible, heart breaking, uplifting, devastating, and unbelievable are a few words that come to mind when I think of that day (and to add to the experience, Casting Crowns even came down to be a part).  The same goes for the message that Sherri shared with a Moms group at one of our local churches this fall.  These are SOLID people, who have AMAZING faith and who have been through an unimaginable tragedy.  But, do you know what?  Their faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is STRONGER than it has ever been!

Please pray for them today!!!  

9 kind words:

mrs boo radley said...

Will pray. Will check out Rick's message too.

Kristin said...

I love that they baptized their daughter in the pool. I got chills when I heard that. To take back something that brought such pain and turn it into a victory.

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

They are all around amazing. I know that the pain is still just as raw, but they are doing amazing things through it all. I felt the same way when I heard that they had baptized their little boy Brody in the pool....AMAZING!

Claremont First Ward said...

I think a parents loss must be almost unbearable.........

Kristin said...

Oops...I said daughter but I meant their son. I think I got the stories mixed up with another couple.

Still...awesome thing to have done.

Anonymous said...

They will definitely be in my prayers for the next several weeks especially. Having lost Hollis (Hudson's twin) at just 8 days old, I only know a portion of the pain they face. Feb 2nd will be 4 years for us since Hollis when to heave, and I can't say it gets any easier each year. I think you learn to tolerate it and get through the several weeks around the time with lot of prayers and support. Thanks for reminding us to remember them in our prayers Megan.

Jo said...

Megan- thanks so much for sharing this story and linking up with Stories in my Pocket. The response of this couple IS amazing, and such a testimony to the eternal goodness of a redeeming God.
-Jo

Amber@theRunaMuck said...

Seriously, I thought my mother wouldn't get out of bed for days when this happened. Thank you for honoring Cornbread here how you've done.

You're good people.

Anonymous said...

I don't even have words. I think it is amazing how God chooses to use people, often in their own darkest hour. Maybe because in our deep need we draw so close to Him that He can use us even more during those times. I don't know. But thank you for sharing the story of this family, and for reminding us to pray for them in their grief today.