Friday, January 30, 2009

A Tale of Two Sundays

Before you even begin reading this post, you must understand one very important thing. I love my husband more than just about anything else in the whole wide world. He is a wonderful father, partner, friend, spiritual leader, provider....you name it! He has taken to fatherhood in ways that I could have never imagined possible, and he can totally handle just about any situation that comes his way.....but, you have to hear this story.



Right after Lucy was born, we made the decision that I would work every weekend so that one of us would always be with the kids. There were pros and cons to this situation, and it worked pretty well for about 3 years. We were blessed to be in a church that offered a Friday Night worship service (so I didn't have to miss church), and the kids have always loved their Daddy time. The strain of very little "family time" and missing all sorts of fun weekend activities got old during those 3 years, and now I work every other weekend (and 1 day during the week). We still share the childcare responsibilities, but we have at least 2 weekends a month to spend as a family.



All that to say, Chris can handle the kids. In the beginning, I did lots of prep to get him ready for his time with them. I prepared meals, laid out clothes, made lists and notes and bottles. I called him at least hourly, and I basically drove him absolutely bonkers (now I only drive him a little bit bonkers). It took a few months....ok maybe a year.... for me to realize that I needed to let some of it go. We had a few little "Come to Jesus" talks and I promised to let him do it his way.


And you know what?! It was SO freeing. I gave up worrying about how the kids looked, how the house looked (well sorta), whether or not they ate anything green or not full of sugar....we were all better for it. Basically, I let Go and let Chris!


Now that I'm off every other weekend, I have to say....I do like for the kids to look cute on my Sunday mornings. Check out these pics from this past Sunday....a "Mommy" Sunday:







Notice the girls....matching monogrammed dresses, matching black shoes and white tights. Reeves wearing a shirt with a collar in a complimentary color scheme. We all sort of look like we tried to be a coordinated little family (not that it didn't come at a price....Reeves pitched an absolute hissy fit when I tried to get him to wear a dress shirt in the same green gingham pattern as the girl's dresses. We compromised with this navy sweater....choosing battles my friends, choosing battles)!


Wanna know what a Daddy Sunday might look like? Well first of all, this is what fuels a Daddy Sunday (probably washed down with Bug Juice)....





You know what? It doesn't bother me one bit, either. I try to never make a big deal about what Chris feeds them on the days I work, and it has actually resulted in something I never would have imagined possible. Chris has turned into a really good cook. He actually bakes most to the time (if you know Chris at all, you know that he loves sweets), but he always gets the kids in on it. He's way better at that than me. Patience is definitely one of his spiritual gifts!


Now, back to the donuts. In June, our church was blessed to have a new lead pastor. And you know what? She is the best thing that has happened at our church in years! We love Julie, and she is blessing us all in unbelievable ways! The thing I love about her is that she "gets" it! She's a mom herself (with a second baby on the way), and she just has to laugh about the "Chris" Sundays.


One Wednesday evening, we had a conversation that I have to share...


Julie had only been at the church for about a month. She said that one Sunday she noticed the kids come in with Chris and he seemed a bit frazzled. Donuts, diaper bags, untied shoes, dirty faces, bug juice, baby dolls, sippy cups, stuffed animals....the whole bit. As soon as he walked in the door, she noticed a lady "rescuing" him. Julie said that the lady bent down to re-button Lucy's dress, and she heard her say, "Your Mommy is working today isn't she?" Lucy simply gave an affirming nod and a grin.


Julie said she couldn't help but giggle, and I said, "Isn't that Awesome?!"


You see, I am soooo grateful. First of all, I am grateful for a wonderful husband who does it all and never complains. Second of all, I am thankful and blessed to have an AMAZING church family. A family who does not judge, does not question, does not ridicule, does not shame. They are open and real and accepting. Our church is a place where you can wear jeans, drink coffee and eat donuts during Worship....go barefoot if you like. Shoot, your kids can come in their PJs if they want. No One Cares!!! A church family who is seeking to know God more. To know God in the real world. That is what it's about!


It's exactly what I need. It's exactly what I want. And to be honest, I think it's what God wants!


My girls may have their dresses on backwards. Reeves may wear his jeans that have holes in the knees, and Lucy may not have her hair like I like it. But you know what? I have a church family who absolutely accepts them JUST as they are.... accepts all of us as we are. My friends will wipe their faces and re-button their dresses and comb their hair. They will help Chris check them in to the Nursery, and make sure Lucy goes to the bathroom.


I mean, if that isn't real enough for you, then maybe this will be! I can't wait to see what our new series has in store....



My kids are gonna meet God in the Real World....both at home and in their place of Worship. How amazing is THAT?!





Since this is sorta funny and since it is Friday....
Click on that cute button above to visit Amber over at
The Run A Muck
I love her!

5 kind words:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine what ours would look like on Sunday, if my husband had to get them ready :) I have "trained" him about the church bibs, paci clip to match the pacifier to match the outfit! & He is AWESOME about helping! Love this post! Isn't it awesome having a great church!?!?!

Aspiemom said...

Do I need to tell you that I am soooooo jealous of the man you married? I'm trying not to compare...I won't compare....I won't do that, it won't help anything.

But you are very blessed!

Anonymous said...

I loved your Sundays story! What a great church for your kids to grow up in, where they can show up all put together or not and no one judges or makes pinchy little judgmental faces. They just encourage and love. How wonderful!

Now, if only Chris would turn around in the car and snap a photo record of HIS mornings, you would have a truly complete story. The thing is, the story itself suggests it may be nearly impossible for him to manage that extra step while juggling the donuts and diaper bags! A camera? Snapping photos for the blog??

Probably not gonna happen.

Loved stopping by--and loved having you stop by at my place, too!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is wonderful! I love this post about your husband's Sundays. No way would my husband be up for the challenge of getting our 3 kids to church by himself! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I love you, too.