Monday, January 5, 2009

Not me!, Monday



Yesterday, one of my friends from college (a sweet sorority sister who I've reconnected with in the blogosphere) commented on my blog that she liked how "real" I was.  I guess I've gotten more open and honest here on the blog as time has gone by.  I have a really long way to go in the "real" department, but I'm going to get there! Basically, I've grown to realize how very important it is to be authentic.  That is what I want to work towards more and more in 2009, and authenticity is what my New Years Resolution for 2009 will be.  I want to be a more authentic mother, daughter, sister, friend, wife, nurse, niece, granddaughter, cousin, small group leader, sister-in-law, blogger, church member, neighbor, room mother, aunt, daughter-in-law, teacher, child of God, and follower of Jesus Christ (and I'm sure I left out a few other "roles" I hold).  I've really been in prayer about this New Years Resolution theme, and plan to post more in the coming weeks about what it really means to me (probably a series of "Authentic" posts...mostly to keep me accountable).  Until then....... 

I don't think there could be a more perfect way to kick off that resolution of authenticity than with a little "Not Me, Monday" fun!!!  MckMama started this little weekly event back in the fall, and most weeks I try to join in.  There is nothing more authentic than admitting to your not so perfect experiences right here for all the world to see.  MckMama...Thanks for your inspiration in 2008, and for inspiring me to find my authentic self in 2009!!!

Here are a few of my not so shining ones from the past couple of weeks.  

I did NOT let my children go without brushing their teeth for several days in a row during the two week break from school.  It was NOT because we stayed in our pajamas till noon, ate breakfast for dinner, fell asleep watching movies on the couch, or were just plain lazy for over 2 weeks.  I did NOT decide that in 2009 I will be better at keeping up with the cleanliness of my children's teeth and make it more of a priority (and I did not think to myself how pathetic it was that I would have to make that a New Years Resolution)!!!  I am NOT blessed beyond measure that good genes are on our side, and my kids do NOT get a good report every time we go to see the dentist....WHEW!!!

I did NOT almost deliver a baby on Saturday (on a toilet no less), and it did NOT make me reflect on all the babies I have delivered over my 11 years as a Labor and Delivery nurse (when the doctor couldn't quite make it).  I do NOT sometimes take for granted the AWESOME responsibility and privilege I have as a nurse working in the business of miracles.  It has NOT influenced the way I view life and motherhood and miracles, and I do NOT still cry almost EVERY time I attend the birth of a baby.  

I did NOT talk in my sleep on Friday night and my husband (and mother) did NOT hijack my blog  on Saturday with a post about it while I was working.  Nope, I am NOT still trying to figure out how I'm gonna get them back....that would be really mean (NOT really).

I do NOT have a child old enough to be losing teeth, and I did NOT cry tears of joy when I saw how happy he was to get a dollar under his pillow from the tooth fairy.  

I did NOT have a few proud parenting moments where I didn't raise my voice a little higher than I should have. I did NOT lose my temper a few times when the kids had had a little too much "together time" and were having their sixth fight before breakfast.  

I am NOT sad that the past year has flown by so quickly and that on Saturday, my sweet baby G will be turning 1.  She has NOT rocked our world this year with her delicious little self, and we are NOT blessed beyond measure for the light she has brought to our little family.  

I am NOT sad that school starts back tomorrow and that my kids (and I) will have to get back in the swing of reality.  I do NOT have a million things to clean and organize around here, but would NOT rather be lazing around our house for another 2 weeks.  Nope....NOT ME!!!

On second thought, I am NOT excited about some alone time with sweet G and Reeves' new DS.  I am NOT addicted to Super Mario, and I do NOT plan to spend naptime tomorrow trying to get to the next level!!!  

I did NOT run my air-conditioning all night long (because it is NOT humid and foggy and dreary here in Alabama).  I did NOT just turn the air-conditioning off and light the fire for a few minutes just to get the den feeling cozy.  That would NOT be crazy-nuts!!!  I do NOT hope and pray for at least a few cold days and nights before Spring, and at least 1 good snowfall would NOT be the icing on the cake!!!

Jump on in....what have YOU not done this week???  Head over to MckMama's blog to read more.  I plan to!

10 kind words:

Cathy said...

Our weather here (MS) is the same...hot and humid one day, cold and rainy the next! Loved your list!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful, relaxing break with your kids.

From my experience, labour and delivery nurses are amazing people. I have been so blessed with the nurses I have had. Thank you for making a difference in people's lives.

Unknown said...

I, too, am striving for authenticity. I have always been the perfectionist...the people-pleaser. This year I want to put a little less emphasis on what others think! So what if I make mistakes!!

Great list, by the way!

Susan said...

I also do NOT stay up late and play my sons new DS, even turning down the volume so no one will hear...and I would NOT give anything for a day of your weather! It's too cold in Indiana...consider yourself blessed! :)

For Such A Time As This said...

Hi Megan. I noticed you commented on my daughter's blog (Twin4God) from McMama's blog - and so I took a peek at your blog. Ok, I used the word "blog" way too many times, and now I'm confusing myself! :) Anyway, I noticed you guys are in Alabama and Crimson Tide fans! My husband is from AL and even though we now live in FL, we are Alabama at heart and hope to move back there one day. His family is in B'ham. Are you guys close to there?

Our daughter is going to be 15 in a couple of weeks.(She actually has a twin brother, too) Thanks for the sweet comment. She is very, very wise ALMOST all the time! :) That other tiny amount of time, she is 14! :) But, that's ok. We are so very blessed and thankful. Your kids look precious as well. I will enjoy reading your blog. Bryce and I love "meeting" new friends online. My husband calls them our "virtual friends" - but, occasionally we get to eventually meet in real life. Blessings to you and your family today!

Julie said...

Okay...that is HYSTERICAL that your hubby posted! I'm glad mine can never remember my username. Whew!

I'm bad about brushing teeth too...do you really need to brush their teeth when they're toddlers?!?! :)

I didn't fall asleep during the BAMA game, but I kept getting up to do something...I just couldn't watch...

Michal Ann said...

There you go again Megan, fulfilling your goal of authenticity: you shared that you wept over the beautiful friendship of Audra and Angie. Their unity in the bond of peace is a blessing to all of us. Talk about a "Divine Appointment" over velour stirrup pants! God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform!

Did you happen to see that the comment right next to your was written in appreciation for the close friends of Jen whose 31 year old husband died this summer? A month later, Jen lost their first child. She's blogging about her journey to the New Jenny. I AM SO AMAZED at the courage and strength that this blog world reveals!! http://taleoftwocoins.blogspot.com/

I've corresponded with a young lady named Chelsea Pang after she blogged something about living in my general area. Her wonderful blog is full of truth and wisdom. She's been a nurse for six years and recently graduated from training as a Family Nurse Practitioner. I think you might benefit from checking her recent post about the birth plan she wrote. I may be way off but she's hoping it will be a blessing to others. Since you are an amazing and compassionate Labor and Delivery nurse, it might be instructive for you and your colleagues. You probably know this stuff but I thought it seemed so wise and comprehensive coming from another deeply Christian nurse.

Profile: Chelsea Pang About Me:

I am compelled to keep a blog to share my journey as a new mother and wife. We lost our first baby, Grace Ola at 37 weeks gestation to Trisomy 18 on September 17th, 2008. She is named Grace because of the Lord's grace getting us through her short life and grieving time. Her middle name means life in Hawaiian; this is in honor of our choice to let her live out her life as it was intended. I pray this blog brings joy and hope to those who read it as I share our life and Grace Ola's legacy. *** I love to hear from you through comments on my blog. Your comment will show up just after I read it. Thank you and love love! http://graceolaobrienpang.blogspot.com/

Megan, I'm also thinkin' of you with great admiration. You have so many vital roles in this world and you live with such a great heart! You may feel like a "crazy" person but it's INTENSE doing all that you do. Now, I find that "busy" can be a "four letter word" which we shouldn't use as admiringly as we do but give yourself lots of credit and grace! You posted a picture of the bed heaped with laundry for Heaven's sake....oh, I guess it IS all for Heaven's sake, isn't it??

Just try holding the laundry up to the light when it's fresh from the dryer. It will fold much more easily and more wrinkle free. Man, I spent a lot of my life trying to match up little white socks for three kids in three years! I bought many identical pair when I shopped so at least I had a CHANCE! Still, I had a laundry basket that had a lot of "orphaned" socks tucked around the edges, waiting for the "sock eating dryer" to give back their partner! Isn't it weird that a lot of what we do could be accomplished by a three year old? God and I spent many an hour in conversation as I vacuumed and folded laundry! People sometimes said that I was "too smart" to be home with my kids....What? Dumb people should raise my kids? I am so glad you have the energy to manage your busy household and bless your patients beside! I HONOR your career but in my case, with MS exacerbations after each birth, it wouldn't have been wise to take that on.

Grateful for you and your sweet touch in this world! Michal

Michal Ann said...

Sorry! Oh man!! That's LONG! Sorry, I guess I should've emailed!!

Aspiemom said...

I could have written much of your "Not Me's" - they sound very familiar! I've had the a/c running here, too!

I believe you are taking care of Skylar tomorrow during Alan's appts. Would you do something for me? Would you give her a hug from me? I don't know her, but I just really would like to give her a hug since I've been reading her journals.

JaniceFry said...

Hey, girlie! As usual, love reading your blog! ....Go to mine, you have been chosen for a little "tag game" (you might kill me!) that someone tagged me with! I'm so dense I probably did it wrong! HAHA...ANYWAY, if you're too busy, don't worry with it! I know how it is with 3 kids . (plus 2)! love and LOTS of hugs! mama fry