Monday, September 1, 2008

A Wonderful Day Brought to You in Part by....

Sticker charts!



I'm not above a little bribery. It is one of the most powerful parenting tools out there, in my humble opinion. Especially when it is positive reinforcement for good behavior and a docking system in the event of not so good behavior.


In our house, it is working like a charm. The kids have responded to it like Gang Busters, and I've gotten a little bit more control back. They choose the prize, and I hand out or take away the stickers. Here are some examples of sticker worthy events:


Going to bed without a fight
Staying in bed all night, without coming to get in bed with Mommy or Daddy
Picking up your toys
Brushing teeth and Dressing for school after only being asked one time
Entertaining Greer for a few minutes so Mommy can get something done
Playing well together (no hitting, screaming, shoving, biting...etc..)
Putting dishes in the sink and clothes in the hamper without being asked
And, whatever else Mommy or Daddy deems worthy of a sticker


It has made for a great day!

4 kind words:

Val said...

I can NOT wait until that will work for Hill!!

Erica said...

I love the simplicity of your sticker chart! Just draw up and reward when they do something good! I think I will go draw a few up! Just not sure if this makes sense for my 9 yr old, but I think the 7 & 3 yr old it might help! Thanks!

~Erica
Came here from MckMama's blog ;)

~Beth D. said...

Big fan of sticker charts! I did a potty chart for my 3 year old. Now we're doing a "stay dry all night" chart. I love it!!!

Amy said...

I love this idea and told Sam to remember it because I will borrow it from you someday.