Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Have I mentioned that I LOVE to Cook!!!



I really do. And, even though this week is crazy, I've seemed to be doing a lot of cooking. It is therapy for me and who doesn't love a good home cooked meal!? This is a picture from last Thanksgiving of Lucy and Aunt Becca working on mom's cornbread dressing.

I come from a "foodie" family, if you will. My mom is a wonderful "purest". She can cook anything, and she does it really well. Her greatest dishes are simple classics (at least in the Southern tradition). Cornbread Dressing, Squash Casserole, Chicken Casserole, Mashed Potatoes, Fried Chicken, Green Bean Casserole, Lasagna, Cream Cheese Pound Cake....the list goes on and on! I mean, other than the time she tried to pass the decadent dessert from Food World off as homemade one Thanksgiving, this woman is purely and simply the best cook ever!

My dad is quite a chef in his own right...albeit a bit more eccentric. He spends hours and hours and HOURS in the kitchen when he has the chance (which isn't very often....mostly on vacation and when Alabama is playing football...he gets too nervous to watch, therefore he cooks). His specialties are things like Pastries, Gumbo, West Indies Salad, Seafood Dishes, Grilling, Smoked Meat, and other eclectic things. Seriously, one year during the Alabama/Auburn game he managed to make about everything you can possibly make from pumpkins my mom had on the porch (pumpkin muffins, pancakes, bread, soup, biscuits, pie, toasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin flavored pastries, etc.)!

Even with the great influence of my mom and dad (not to mention my grandparents), I started out as a pretty picky child. I basically lived on grits and cheeseburgers until I was in college. Over the last 15 years or so, I have expanded my horizons, though, and I will eat (and cook) just about anything! I am proud to say that I have honed my skills in the kitchen because of my parents influence......I think they thought I was a lost cause!

Tonight, I made one of our favorites. Goat cheese chicken with tomatoes. It is so very simple, and I just have to share it! Plus, I'm simply OBSESSED with basil lately...

4 or 5 (or how many you need to feed your family) spilt chicken breasts (with skin)
Fresh Basil
Goat Cheese (1 tub should do)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil
Fresh Tomato

Simply separate the skin of each chicken breast enough to spoon in a big scoop of Goat Cheese (about 1 TBSP)
Stuff each with a large Basil leaf
Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
Drizzle with Olive Oil
Top with another basil leaf or 2
Cut Tomato into fourths (1 or 2 depending on how many you are serving) and throw in
Cover with foil and bake on 350 degrees for 1.5-2 hours or until cooked through (I uncover it for the last 20 minutes or so)

Enjoy!!!

2 kind words:

Amber said...

The recipe sounds delicious! I am going to try it. My obsession is goat cheese. Yum! =D I know I am a stranger to you, but I started reading your blog recently after reading Angie Smith's blog (Bring the Rain). I am debating whether to start my own blog...but just not sure what I'll say. Anywho, it's just nice to read blogs of other Christian mothers with young kids. I have a daughter who will soon be 3.

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

You are so sweet to post and follow my blog. I enjoy doing it as my only form of "scrapbooking". This is much more "doable" for me! I hope you start your own blog soon!