Friday, September 26, 2008

In case you have some time to cook this weekend....

I have a couple of recipes that I have perfected (not that I'm bragging or anything) in the past couple of weeks.  These aren't anything amazing or extraordinary....but they are simple and good.  I just have to share....


Salsa 
1 can Rotel
1/2 jalapeno pepper sliced and de-seeded
1/4 white onion chopped 
a little (or a lot, just depends what you like) fresh cilantro
2 or 3 or more shakes of Crazy Mixed Up Seasoning (I call it Crazy Salt...it has salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and herbs)
Blend it up in a food processor (my choice is the magic bullet...have I mentioned how much I LOVE it!?)
Enjoy with tortilla chips after you chill it for a little while

Chunky Chicken Salad
meat of a store bought rotisserie chicken (I buy it, let it cool to warm/room temp, and pick it to the bone...leaving out the skin and fat)
1/2 cup mayo (more or less to taste)
3/4 cup red grape halves
1/2 cup crushed pecans
3 stalks of celery sliced
Just mix it all together!

Taco Soup (Can't take credit for this recipe...it was given to me by my friend Amy E)
1 pound ground beef 
1 1/2 packs taco seasoning
1/4 onion chopped
1 can tomato sauce
1 can rotel
1 can diced tomatoes
1 jar salsa (as spicy or mild as you like)
1 can corn drained 
1 can black beans drained
1 pack Ranch Dressing Mix (the dry stuff)
1 cup water
Salt and Pepper to taste
Brown the meat with the onion and 1 pack of taco seasoning.  Drain. Return to pot and add everything else.  Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for a while...YUMMY!

Spaghetti Sauce (from scratch.......pretty much)!
3/4 pound ground beef
a little olive oil
1/4 white onion (chopped)
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small tomato chopped into big chunks
several Basil leaves
dash of oregano
Crazy Mixed up Salt (several shakes)
Brown the meat with the olive oil and onion.  Drain.  Add all the other ingredients.  Bring to boil and simmer for a while.  Serve with pasta and fresh Parmesan!

If you have anything to share that you have "perfected" please feel free to leave a comment and share it here....I always love to try new things!




1 kind words:

Bethany Edgeworth said...

Made the taco soup...loved it!!!