Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What's in a Name?

John 8:12 says....

Then Jesus spoke to them again: "I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows Me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life." 


I know that some of you are new here, but some of you have been here since the very beginning. I've wanted to author this post for a while now, and I am feeling the need to explain myself for some reason....so I feel like the best place to start is here.  I've never really explained the meaning behind the name of my blog, but to me it is such an integral part of my being.  I define myself by this title, and to put it out there without explanation seems irresponsible (or at the very least arrogant....how are you to know my heart if I never fully explain myself?). 

Around the time that I met Chris, I was introduced to the music of David Wilcox.  Like most people, music moves me.  More than that, music with meaning moves me.  I love hearing a song and dissecting every note and lyric.  I love honest music.  Music that speaks to my heart.  Lyrics that transform me.  The music of David Wilcox does that for me.

He's not your typical Christian music artist.  He isn't marketed as a Christian Music Artist, and you have probably never heard of him.  That is just a shame. 

I love the raw honesty of his words.  The realness of his lyrics.  I love that I have to listen to something over and over and over again before I truly grasp what it means....what he means.  He is honest about life and faith and that is what gets me.  Most of his songs aren't even about Jesus (who he calls the "outrageous carpenter").  But the ones that are?  Man!

So.  My blog title is actually the title of one of his greatest songs (or at least one that is great to me).  I pray that he won't sue me for plagiarism, and that he knows how much I adore him and his work (hey, I'm giving him the credit, aren't I?).  I'm just gonna trust that he takes it as a compliment.  If you want to hear a bit of it, it's in my playlist at the bottom of this page.  Just scroll all the way to the end to play it.  

So here are the words that basically define me.  They speak of places I have been and places I will be.  They challenge me to speak the truth, to own up to what I believe, and to trust in the One who has given me life abundant.  I will forever Hold it Up to the Light!


It's the choice of a lifetime - I'm almost sure
I will not live my life in between anymore
If I can't be certain of all that's in store
This far it feels so right
I will hold it up - hold it up to the light,
Hold it up to the light, hold it up to the light

The search for my future has brought me here
This is more than I'd hoped for, but sometimes I fear
That the choice I was made for will someday appear
And I'll be too late for that flight
So hold it up - hold it up to the light,
Hold it up to the light, hold it up to the light

It's too late - to be stopped at the crossroads
Each life here - each a possible way
But wait - and they all will be lost roads
Each road's getting shorter the longer I stay

Now as soon as I'm moving - my choice is good
This way comes through right where I prayed that it would
If I keep my eyes open and look where I should
Somehow all of the signs are in sight
If I hold it up to the light

I said God, will you bless this decision?
I'm scared, Is my life at stake?
But I see if you gave me a vision
Would I never have reason to use my faith?

I was dead with deciding - afraid to choose
I was mourning the loss of the choices I'd lose
But there's no choice at all if I don't make my move
And trust that the timing is right
Yes and hold it up hold it up to the light
Hold it up to the light, hold it up to the light

5 kind words:

Kristin said...

That's beautiful.

Thank you for sharing the meaning behind the title.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I'm a big Dave fan, too, as I think I've told you before. He rules!

Valerie said...

I love him too. I was thinking about that song when you asked on Twitter earlier this month if it sounded like you were a bank robbing thug. lol

Speaking of Twitter I am not following you anymore I noticed I wasn't getting your updates. Well when I clicked to see what was going on there is no follow button under your picture but I'm still not getting updates. Weird!

lenwa said...

Everytime. I mean everytime I look at your blog I get that song stuck in my head which is good except I don't know all the words so it is bad...I need to download it.

I think you're the one that introduced me to it...fitting really that it is your blog title, loves it.

Blair said...

A friend referred me to your blog and I recognized the title right away! I've been listening to David Wilcox for almost 15 years now. I think that makes me old.