Monday, April 27, 2009

It takes a village.


I worked all weekend.  Don't get me wrong, I really do love my job, but sometimes it's hard.


It is something that will be coming to an end soon (thank the good Lord), but not soon enough.  Come Summer, I will only work 1 weekend a month and will pick up more weekdays.  I love working 12 hour shifts (2 days a week gives me 24 hours and full benefits....can't beat that), but most nurses have to work on the weekends, too!  These past few years I have chosen a schedule that allows me to be with the kids during the week  (big plus was the cut in childcare expenses)!  Chris gained a healthy respect for how tough (and rewarding) the day to day can be, and he is awesome at!  The hardest part is missing a lot of fun times.  This past Saturday was the perfect example! 

Reeves described it as...

"The greatest day of my whole, entire life!!!"

Yes, it is quite depressing that I missed that monumental event in the life of my first born.  My only solace is that I have an inkling it might be the first of many great days in his little life.  I love the outlook of a 7 year old!

Reeves is out of his slump.  He went 4 for 4 at bat, and the Braves beat the #2 team in the league 25-5.  If you follow me (or Chris) on twitter, you already knew that, but if you didn't know it.....it was totally worth sharing!  Yes, the Braves won a big game and Reeves made some big plays.  I am so proud of him them!!!

Wanna know what got me through missing that game?  Here are just a few of them...

Carrie, DeeAnn, Bethany, Charcey, Aunt Becca, Papa, Jamie, (Cole's) Mimi, (Cole's) Papa, Daddy, Greer, Harriet, Dana, Amy, Barrett, Mike, John C., Landon, Honey, Jeff, John T., Lucy.....not to mention all his baseball buddies!

This big group of loving support has been just as broken-hearted as I have that he has struck out his past 3 games.  They hurt for him just like I did.....

You wanna know what they did when he finally hit it this weekend?  

They screamed extra loud just for me.  They cheered him on and picked him up and told him how awesome he played!  And I knew he felt loved.  He felt just as loved as if I had been there.

Thank you friends.  Thank you!  

7 kind words:

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I'm so glad YOU GUYS had a great game ... of course the kids on my friends Lisa, Cindy and Megan's team (the Rangers) were crushed. :) So sorry you had to miss The Best Day EVER, but I'm so glad you had many people there in your stead.

Aspiemom said...

Good going, Reeves!

Do you know how Alan and Jen are doing? I haven't heard anything since they got to the Air Show. I know they were doing Disney, but didn't know if they were home yet and how he's doing.

Valerie said...

Awww that was so neat of them to do that! You are right though there will be many days like that. I was ill during some of my daughter's growing up I missed a few things because of it. But I have been there for bigger things. Being with her and her husband for the birth of my first grandchild. Not only a big day for her but me too. There will be many.

MRH said...

Meg--I'm so sorry you missed Reeves' rebound game, but, for what it's worth, you were our angel at UAB this weekend. I can't thank you enough for your caring professionalism and for your prayers and love, which, along with those of so many others, were our mainstay, not only during the weekend but throughout Corey's long journey. You're the best, and we love you! Thank you for the gift of your presence.

Bethany Edgeworth said...

You know, I was just as excited for Reeves as he was....and I know all of 'us' felt the kind of proud you feel for your own kids. I know I was acting crazy, jumping up and down!! It's gonna be so sad when baseball is over :(

Bridget said...

I spent alot of time in the hospital recently and my son got to ride his first bull in the FFA rodeo and I was crushed to have to miss it. I asked for pictures to be taken so I could see him. Don't know when I'll get them or if they turned out. I think the most important thing is that my kiddo knew how much I wanted to be there.

Lindsay said...

You know, I have a REALLY hard time leaving to work for three or four hours on a Saturday so I can only imagine - if you're anything like myself - what you're going through in your head when you're gone. Missing so much - that's just it. Sure, there are fight and sqwables, etc - but it's time you can't get back. I like to think of that when I'm at home during the week, about ready to pull my hair out. So COME SUMMER - and summer shifts for you! How awesome. Enjoy every minute of it. :-) I'm sure you'll be a blogging fool, too!