Friday, April 24, 2009

Now I get it: Baseball


I get how nervous you are every time he is up to bat.  I realize how exciting it is to watch him make a great play or almost knock it over the fence.  I get how heartbreaking it is to watch him strikeout every time he is up to bat 3 games in a row.  I get that he is frustrated because he used to hit almost every ball with perfect form and now he's in a slump and thinks he is the reason they lost the big game.  I realize that this, too, shall pass, and soon he'll get his groove back.  It still stinks.


I get how delicious a sweaty little 6 year old is after playing all afternoon under the hot Alabama sun and rolling around in red dirt.  I get that they love this game and that the only reason they play it is cause it's fun.  I get that the parents are the crazy ones, but most of them are crazy cause they love their boy so much.  I get that I am one of those parents.



I get how hard it is to be the wife of the coach.  I get that he labors and frets over every line-up and play.  I get how horrible he feels for them when they lose, but that it is frustrating when they don't listen.  I get that he just wants them to learn the game and have fun doing it.  He wants to teach them to be good sports and to play fair.  He wants them to feel good about themselves.  Not all the other coaches get this!



I get what it means to "live at the ballpark".  I get that the families you spend every Saturday afternoon with become like family.  I get that even my girls have a blast with their friends at the park and probably never even watch a single play their brother makes.  I get that they love being there just as much as he does, though.


 
And I get why you do whatever it takes to keep your 15 month old entertained so you can watch him make that big play on first base.  I get that the sugar high is worth the smile he flashes from the outfield when he knows you saw him catch that pop fly.  

Yep, I get it.

3 kind words:

Huck said...

excellent post megan. hope all is well with you guys.

James' Full House said...

I also get it..... I love this time of year. Wea re at the ball park 4 days a week. Letting them feel the loss is so hard. I love that they smell like little puppies also. LOL at- what ever it takes to keep your 15mth (or in my case 18 mth) old entertained. Not easy to do my friend...
Have a great season...

Brandi

It Feels Like Chaos said...

I am so right there with you, just at a different ballpark 3 days each week! But I, too, love those grins when my boy turns to see if I'm watching him. I even got a wave from short-stop a couple games ago; I hope he never gets too big or too cool for that! At least I don't do what my friend did. She actually went in the dugout mid-game to tuck in her son's shirt! I had to give her a hard time for that over-bearing mom move!