Monday, May 25, 2009

Settling in

No pictures for this post....I'm actually doing good to get a post up at all.


We had a tolerable pretty decent drive home (it actually seemed to go pretty quickly). The kids were not as amused with this drive, but it was "OK," considering. Chris got a bit outdone with Reeves kicking his seat, and I was not amused when I had to unbuckle to find the Nintendo DS and the green crayon, but all in all, it wasn't too bad.

I did make a pretty good dent in the second Twilight book....that was a big 'ole bonus ('specially since it is a recent development for me to be able to tolerate reading while driving....I have a bad history with car-sickness). I may have been a bit more snappy than I would normally be as I got deeper and deeper into the story. And, maybe I hit my "mommy breaking point" a bit prematurely!

Thankfully, before long we found a Chick-fil-a, some sweet tea, and remembered who was waiting for us back home. The further we got from Orlando, the more excited I was to see my sweet baby girl......it was almost more than I could bear.

I'd be lying if I said that her reaction didn't break my heart.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry.

She's 16 months old.

16 month-olds have major issues with separation anxiety and latch on to their immediate care-giver.

I know that.

But,

It. still. broke. my. heart!

Greer didn't want me. She didn't seem to know me. It took 30 minutes for her to warm up to me.

She reached for my mom and cried when I held her.





I cried.





But, she finally warmed up to us (Chris first....he wrestled with her on the floor), and before long, she was showing us all her new tricks.

Rocking her to sleep was bliss, and I can't wait to see her in the morning. I know it's all par for the course, but it still stings. It wasn't something I was prepared for, and I can't say I wasn't shocked. I just can't wait to spend some time with my baby girl, and I can't wait for her to really get excited about us being home.

But you wanna know what I am thankful for? I am thankful that she felt loved and cared for by her grandparents. For they love her as much as we ever could, and with them she felt safe. and loved. and secure.

That's what matters most.



2 kind words:

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

That made me so sad for you, Megan! I've been through it, too, though, and it passes. I remember when Nathaniel and Nicholas were each babies, and at the end of the day when I'd pick them up, sometimes they'd cling to their teachers. It made me so sad! But it was a phase, for both of them, and I'm sure we're about to reach it with Jake (13 months). I'm not looking forward to it!

Danielle Moss // Graphic Design and Photography said...

Oh, that is SO sad. I didn't know that happened with babies that age. I'm actually really surprised!

I am so glad you had fun and cant wait to see your photos.

I am ready to get going on that new order for you btw. Know what I'm talking about? Email me when you can.