Sunday, May 3, 2009

Lucy's un Birthday!

One week from today, my Lucy will be turning 5!  I can hardly believe it.  It seems like just moments ago she was this tiny baby girl, cradled in a sea of baby pink...



And tonight, I am in awe of how much she has changed in 5 short years.  She seems like a big kid now, and I just don't know if I'm ready for it!!!  

On Tuesday morning, we will go for Kindergarten Kickoff....next year she will be off to big school with her big brother (and don't even get me started on how I feel about having a 2nd grader!).


Both Lucy and Reeves have birthdays in May.  It makes for an expensive busy month.  When we planned our Disney trip for later this month, we told the kids that we couldn't do big birthday parties and a massive vacation all in the same month.  They understood, and we decided they could each pick a friend to sleep over.  

Lucy chose her friend Laura Beth and a night at the movies (we had to do it this weekend cause I have to work on her birthday, which is also Mother's Day....yes, it does stink big time).  She wanted a chocolate cake and dinner at her favorite Mexican restaurant.  It was going to be a fun time.  Best part about having Laura B over is that her big brother is Reeves' buddy.  He would be heading over to stay with Cole so we could have an all girls night!  Fun times were ahead.....

Until....

Lucy started running a fever and complaining of a sore throat.  She seemed OK otherwise, so we loaded her up on Motrin and headed home to rest after our lunch at Chick-fil-a.  She told me and mom, "I think I'll feel better after a shower and a little cake!".....that's my girl!

On the drive home from lunch, I called my friend Bethany to scope out her take on the situation.  Lucy and Laura Beth had already spent all morning together at the ballpark (where the Braves won 30-11 against the Rangers.....go Braves!), so I knew the damage had already been done.  Bethany didn't mind a bit and said that if we were game, they were game.  We were on!

Well, the Motrin (and shower) did wonders.....and well, we can't forget the cake!



It's amazing what a little chocolate will do.  It was quite delicious, and we still have a ton left.  Must. giveaway. lots. 'o. cake.  Want some?  I can't have that stuff in my house (for more reasons than one)....

All hyped up on sugar and coasting on that same dose of Motrin, off to the movies we went!  Hannah Montana was the flick of choice, and I must say, it was pretty precious.   In fact,  I think I may have liked it more than they did (I have been listening to the soundtrack all day on my iPod).  I am determined to learn all the moves to the Hoedown Throwdown, and I'll let you know when I have my routine perfected.  I may have to video tape it and upload it in a post.  

Reeves will be mortified.  FUN!

All that to say, they loved it, too!  In fact, I decided to let them dance in front of the screen for the last 2 songs.  The 12 other people in the theater didn't seem to mind, and as you can see.....



They pretty much rocked it!  I love this age (don't I say that about every age?).  I love that she is big enough to sit through an entire movie (well almost) that I can tolerate, too!!!  

After the dancing stopped, we moved the party on over to the restaurant where the girls continued to work the camera and strut their stuff.  We had a really great time!



This is Lucy's current favorite pose.  I am still trying to decide if it is cute or disturbing.  Whatcha think?

8 kind words:

Amy said...

Wow I can not believe Lucy is about to be 5. It seems like yesterday I calmly said there is about to be a birthday in here and there she came making a FAST grand entrance. I would not have traded that for anything. That meant the world to me to deliver that precious child.
Happy Birthday Lucy!!

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

Amy....I wouldn't have had it any other way, either! Having you deliver her and hand her to me was one of the most amazing moments of my life....and yes, it was FAST! She has been fast movin' ever since!

We gotta get together, girl!

Barbara said...

Hi - I feel we are friends from the pws email group. Just had to let you know Lucy and my oldest daughter Alison have the same birthday. That cake was beautiful! Barbara (mom to Amanda, avm left leg, NC)

Aspiemom said...

Happy Birthday, Lucy! You are a natural for the camera, girl!

I hope you are feeling better by now and that your mom has recovered from all of that partying!

JaniceFry said...

The last pix??? Just CRACKS ME UP! That is LUCY!!!! I'm sooo excited to have that funny monkey come share Monday afternoons at "Camp GranJan's"! She is a hoot. I love to watch the girls play together (what's cuter than watching them with baby dolls, yeah, you can tell both moms are OB nurses--they probably know more about babies than GranJan!)but the best part? When she calls me "GRANJAN" like my own grand-monkeys do! LOVE IT. And love HER. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SWEET, ADORABLE ,PRECOCIOUS , FUNNY, ENTERTAINING>>>LUCY! I love you, MIss Priss! (and so glad you're FEELING BETTER!). I have you a special birthday surprise! See you this afternoon!

Anonymous said...

5 is such a great age, but also sad. My oldest Kaylie Belle will be 6 in August and I am so sad about it! They are no longer babies!:( It seems like you girls had some fun times! Sorry about working on her bday and Mothers Day, but at least you'll be helping with giving other mother's out there the best gift they got!

Anonymous said...

Oh, did you make that cake? That was such a cute cake!!

Lindsay said...

She is too adorable - and HAPPY ALMOST BIRTHDAY to Lucy!! I love that you let them dance at the end of the movie - you're such a nice mom!