Friday, May 29, 2009

On the Eve of His 7th Birthday

Reeves will be 7 tomorrow.  

S.E.V.E.N!


I can hardly believe it myself!  Other than making me feel quite old (don't even get me started on that!  A trolley driver in WDW made a comment that made me feel really old last week, and I'm still not over it).  He has really seemed grown up this week (what with the ordering off the adult menu and such), and I am starting to see him as a big kid *gasp*.  

So tonight, I was grateful to get lots of cuddles and stories out of my "almost" big kid.  He still loves a good snuggle, and has the most tender heart you can possibly imagine.  This boy would spend every Sunday (well, every day for that matter) serving the under-privileged kids breakfast at our local church for the homeless.  He has more compassion in his little "almost" seven year old body than several adults I know combined!  How am I so lucky oh yeah.....I KNOW!

So tonight, he asked me a really important question.  One that really got me to thinkin'!  Maybe I have failed my first born.....

"Mom, is Nana a boy or a girl?"

Meet Nana!

"Nana is a girl, baby!," I told him.

"Was she a girl when we got her?,"  he asked.

Looks like we'll be having a discussion about basic anatomy tomorrow.  If you know me well enough, you know that honesty is my policy when it comes to anatomical/sexual/physical education.  

It's the hazard of having a labor and delivery nurse for a mom.  

Sorry, Reeves!   Oh, and Happy Birthday!  Guess what?  Daddy is makin' pancakes for your birthday breakfast!  

1 kind words:

Erin said...

Good luck with that "talk." It sure sounds like you have a true gift from in your son!