Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tasty Tuesday....Weight Watchers style!

Our Lives In a Nutshell


Aspiemom, one of my faithful blog readers (who always leaves me lots of kind words....I love kind words!) checked out my blog this morning and wanted to know how things were going on Weight Watchers....

Well, I am happy to report that I am only 5 pounds away from my goal!!!! The greatest thing is, I am actually able to wear 99% of the clothes in my closet, and I am feeling really good about myself. It has taken me a full year to get the weight off (after baby #3 that is), but the way that I have gotten here has been much more manageable than in years past. Part of the success has come because I didn't put too much pressure on myself....knowing that I could do it if and when I set my mind to it. I don't do well when there is no end in sight! Knowing that I only have to focus a few weeks at a time motivates me to keep it up. I also treat myself to two or three one little cheat meal each week (no counting aloud).


The key to my success this time? I lost the weight in 5-10 pound chunks and took a couple months off in between (focusing on maintenance). When you've done Weight Watchers for as long as I have (I became a Lifetime Member back in 2002 after Reeves was born), maintenance is like second nature. I focused on sticking to it from March-May, basically took the Summer off, got back on the plan from September-November, took the holidays off, and since the beginning of the New Year I have been on the plan. I am planning on losing all the weight by the time we hit Destin, Florida in mid-March. It has REALLY worked for me, and I think it has been my key to success.


Another big key to my success this time has been my food choices. I am a Points Girl! Weight Watchers has introduced a few different "plans" over the years, but the points are essential to my success. I like the simplicity of it, and knowing that I can eat an entire jar of pickles for Zero points! The great thing is, since I lost all that weight the first time around (after Reeves was born), my points allowance has gone up. They now account for activity level, age, height, work load (running around as a nurse and mommy is finally working in my favor)....it is sooo much better!


I am also eating smarter. The food I use my points on is healthier, more substantial food. I start every day with scrambled egg whites & feta cheese and a Kashi waffle (4 points total), usually eat a Kashi bar or fruit for a snack, soup and a low point sandwich for lunch, another piece of fruit or veggie in the afternoon with a string cheese stick, and a reasonable dinner (we stick to wild rice or a baked potato and grilled lean meat) with a big salad. Those 100 calorie packs are for the birds (and actually REALLY bad for you)!


Try this soup recipe for very low points, lots of veggies, and a little kick!!!


6 cups chicken broth
2 - 12 ounce bags of frozen veggie mix of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots
10 ounces of 2% Velveeta Cheese (cubed)
1 can Rotel


Bring the broth to a boil. Add in veggies and cook to desired tenderness. Turn off heat. Stir in cheese till it is all melted. Add can of Rotel. Turn back on low till you serve it. ONLY 2 points for 1 CUP!!


If only I could do as well with the exercise...that's next!!! Thanks for keeping me accountable, Aspiemom!!!


My friend Lindsay is hosting Tasty Tuesday! Head over and check it out. You may find a few more fatteningly delicious recipes!!! This one may disappoint her faithful readers...sorry :)

5 kind words:

Lindsay said...

You didn't dissappoint! Seriously - if you have a recipe with less than 10 ingredients you're doing awesome in my book!! Not to mention it's EASY and HEALTHY.

Way to go on the weight loss - perhaps I'll be consulting you after August :-)

Danielle Moss said...

That's awesome! Do you want to join my new exercise/healthy living blog? Would love to hear some of your favorite recipes and for you to post your story there!

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Yay for you, mama! I'm a long time fan of Points who has GOT to get started again. I have such a long way to go and it feels so overwhelming, but then I read posts like these that remind me of how wonderful WW is, and it makes me want to get back On Program.

Much applause for your success!

Kruger Kids said...

Your recipe looks delicious and I can't wait to make it TONIGHT!!
I'm a points girl too AND need to do it in chunks with maintanence in between. I like the 6-8 week window of losing, then the maintaining for a while. Girlfriends of mine did a weight loss challenge for 12 weeks. By the 9 weeks I had reached my limit!

Great job on sticking it out and being health smart!!

Aspiemom said...

I feel so flattered that you not only responded to my question, but you named me in your post!!! Twice!

Way to go with the success! I did terrible at WW, but my sister does great with it and is holding her own below her goal weight for over a year now. She determined she would lose the weight before she hit 50, and she did. That's what I would like to do since I'll be 50 in 2010. But I have the problem with the exercise aspect. My sister does the points system, too, and hardly ever has to count them because she's gotten so used to the lifestyle now. (McD's ice cream cone is 1pt., I believe?)

I need to eat much healthier. That recipe sounds great - too bad I JUST got home from getting groceries!

Thanks for the incentive...and congratulations. We'll have to party when you reach your goal!