Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday Drive

The natives were getting restless around here today....and by natives, I am mostly refering to the Mommy variety.  Other than a quick trip to the doctor on Friday to confirm my flu suspicions, I hadn't left the house since Thursday.  I had been looking forward to slipping away to church this morning (all by myself) until Chris informed me (late Saturday afternoon) that he had commitments at both services.  With 3 kiddos still too sick to be in the presence of any human I care about, guess what that meant for Mommy?  


There is this church in town (a church that just happened to be the fastest growing church in the country last year) that I have been wanting to visit.  At about 11:15, I popped over to their website and found that they offer a 1:00 Worship time.  I sent the fastest text in history to my sweet hubby, said a prayer that his ringer was turned off, and hopped in the shower.  He walked through the door at 12:17, and I quickly spouted off the current medication and nap schedule.  I practically ran to the car (no one was gonna stop me now)....

The first joy of my afternoon journey was the drive.  For as long as I can remember, driving alone is simply a spiritual experience all it's own.  I have my closest times with my God out on the road....music blaring, prayers rising, God's beautiful Earth passing me by in the rear view mirror.  I don't care that people stare at me, or that I don't hear my phone ringing....it is my first act of worship before I reach my destination.  Now that I rarely have that alone time behind the wheel, I treasure it with my whole being.

The worship experience was as fulfilling as I had hoped....a message on Compassion.  I was challenged, inspired, and amazed.  It was just what I needed today.....what I've needed for a long time.  My cup was filled to over-flowing, and I feel an energy that will carry me for a long time.  I thank God for leading me there today.

I'll leave you with the lyrics from one of my favorite songs....they pretty much sum up my day! 

You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all
Seeking You as a precious jewel
Lord, to give up I'd be a fool
You are my all in all

Taking my sin, my cross, my shame
Rising again I bless Your name
You are my all in all
When I fall down You pick me up
When I am dry You fill my cup
You are my all in all

Jesus, Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name
Jesus, Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name

4 kind words:

Lindsay said...

Amen to trips ALONE in the car with music blaring and not caring what people think next to you...even if it is for a whole five minutes!!

Glad you were able to at least go to ONE service today!

biker chic said...

this is how i feel on my bike!!! especially early in the mornings.

James' Full House said...

My favorite part of my week is driving alone to and from work. I live about an hour north from StVBham. I pray, praise and sometimes just sit in quiet and think.
We love the Highlands. My Brother in Law sings on the praise team and we try to visit anytime we can.
Our church is very simliar and was actually modeled after the Highlands. (DayStarchurch.TV if you are ever up in Cullman)
So glad to see the kids are feeling better. We love making forts and tents in the living room and nothing pleases them more than getting to sleep somewhere special. Or an all day bed day in my room with movies.

Brandi

Anonymous said...

I am So TOTALLY with you on this! I can relate! I will admit, i've enjoyed running to the pharmacy over and over again this past week with both kids and Ryan sick. Who knew driving alone could be so worth while!

JessiSkyl