Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pictures of Motherhood

Just another day in the life....


It seems Greer has discovered her arms and hands, and her new nickname is Octopus. She manages to completely unload my pantry, dishwasher, make-up bag, cabinet, laundry basket, tampon box, you name it - in five seconds flat. I spend her every waking hour making sure she doesn't absolutely destroy everything in the entire house. Or destroy herself. You wouldn't believe what I managed to "finger-sweep" out of her big 'ole mouth just yesterday! Let's just say, you would be completely and utterly horrified. It's so bad I can't even admit it here (it'll have to wait till Not Me! Monday I guess)....I get nauseated just thinking about it!


Keeping up with this girl is exhausting.


And while I'm on the topic....motherhood in general is exhausting! Don't get me wrong. I really do love it, but it can flat out drain a girl! Today I was driving to pick Lucy up from school (to take her to gymnastics where I would chase Greer around a nasty gym floor waiting for the class to be over), and I caught myself thinking...


"What in the WORLD did I do with all my time before I had the kids?"


I mean, how can you ever get bored!!! There are five dozen books I have started and not had enough time to finish, a yard in desperate need of my once upon a time green thumb, 4 movies I would love to go see, 2 new restaurants I am dying to try, a great little boutique in a suburb a few miles away that I can't manage to get to, a mission trip I want to go on, a complicated recipe that involves a trip to Whole Foods and the Fish Market, a box (or 8) full of pictures that need to be organized, and a conference that would give my spiritual side a much needed tune-up....the list goes on and on!


But after much prayer and pondering, I realize that God has me right where He wants me. I'm learning new lessons everyday, but mostly I am trying to treasure the little things.....and be thankful for the lives I am blessed to protect nurture.


Tomorrow I will move the canned goods out of reach...
those could bloody a lip, man!

Be thankful for the little things!
Here's the earring I've been looking for since last week...wonder how it
got there? That was one really nice surprise today!!

Make the most of naptime!
I did manage to catch up on a couple of my favorite T.V. shows while I
tackled this lovely pile of ironing during Greer's morning nap....

It's at least half that size now...

Yay for the little accomplishments in life!
It's what we mothers live for!!!

Thanks be to God (for He is the only thing that keeps me sane...oh, and coffee)!!!

4 kind words:

Kristin said...

I'm not as good about it as I used to be but I used to make it a point once a month to set aside a few hours or an afternoon for just me. I would hit the spa or go see a movie that I wanted to see all by myself. I scheduled it just like a business appointment in my day planner. That way I knew I would keep it and not make any excuses not to spend that time on myself.

It was an extremely good thing to do and I tell everyone to try it...even if just for a few months. It will make you so much more relaxed and a happier Mommy.

I still have a monthly spa appointment and it does wonders!

Aspiemom said...

Okay, you are making me tired! I don't know how "older women" take care of babies and toddlers. It's too much energy! This of all of the grandmothers that are parenting their grandkids now! Phew!

Sounds like you have a handful!

Glad you found your earring!

Erin said...

Geez Louise with the loaves of bread in that pantry, Meg! Was there a slight chance of snow flurries? I'm just teasing. With the way Reeves is eating these days, sounds like you might need it. Love you!

Lindsay said...

You're REALLY scaring me with the THIRD (wild) child thing....and it's not just you, either. It seems that those who seem to have "easy" kids.....and have just ONE more - end up with a wild child that has you on your toes at all times.

Great post - it makes us all feel human!