Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Save My Sumatanga



I got 5 million chigger bites standing in the Chigger Bowl in a ring of candle-light after a powerful evening program. I know right where the jar of soggy cotton balls are that will take the itch out.

Jesus lives at Camp Sumatanga and every time I am there I feel like I am closer to Him. The view from the Chapel is more breathtaking than can be described in even the most beautiful poem. I hiked that trail up the mountain every year, and I have scars from all the rock bites I got along the way. I can't even count how many times I sat in that primitive stone Chapel looking out over the lake while enjoying a soggy peanut butter and honey sandwich and weak pink lemonade. Up there, the air is different.



I can still taste it.

I traded warm fuzzies. I waded in the creek. I painted on rocks and sent them home to my little sister. I waited to find mail from home on the pool table after lunch in the air-conditioned Dining Hall.....mealtimes were some of my favorite times. I sang my blessings and now my children sing all those old songs when we sit down for meals at home.

"Thank you God for giving us Food!!!"

I played four square in the breezeway and softball in the chigger bowl. I got sent back to my cabin to get my nametag before they would let me into the dining hall for a meal. I bent down to feel the cool spring water air on my face after a sweaty hike to Air Conditioned Rock.

I rehearsed interpretive dances to perform at evening program. I sat on the cool concrete floor in the Assembly Hall and listened to Nina Reeves (our son's namesake) say "Whammity Bang, Whammity Bang...". Oh the stories she could tell.....and the lives she touched. Seeing her at Jenny and John Paul's wedding brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful soul (and tough one) she is.....

I danced to Buttercup and Alley Cat and Amos Moses till I could do it in my sleep.



I prayed and prayed and listened and learned sooooo much about my Sweet Jesus. I got to share my faith with boy-crazy 13 year olds and prayed that they would "get it". I think about a few of them still and wonder how they are doing. Some of them are still my friends.


I get my best night's sleep on a top bunk in Cabin 7. I can still feel the dirt on my sheets from sandy concrete floors. I can still hear the hum of the massive fans that circulated the heavy Alabama night-time air. I prayed that there wouldn't be a spider in the shower and that the two toilets shared by 30 squealing 12 year olds would not stop-up.

I listened to great and powerful music and was introduced to David Wilcox.....my most favorite musician of all time. The sweet sound of music filling the woods would bring tears to my eyes.

At Camp Sumatanga.....I met my beloved.


This is My Sumatanga.

And it is in great danger of closing. I can't imagine my life without it, and I want my children to grow up there like Chris and I did. I want others to find Jesus there. Please pray for Sumatanga....

If you live in Alabama and are looking for an amazing place to have a retreat for your church (every denomination is welcome), I URGE you to introduce your leaders to this amazing place. You will NOT regret it.....and if you visit there or you have your own memories of Sumatanga, I would love to hear your stories. What is YOUR Sumatanga like??

And if you feel led to give to Sumatanga.....well that would just be amazing!




...."Let no one say, and say to your shame, that this was a place of beauty till you came."





8 kind words:

Jack said...

Thanks for the great post! Makes me glad I'll be there for Elementary Camp this summer. :) God Bless!

Earl Freeman said...

Megan - great blog! How did you get the layout? and ther music? Teach me, O wise one!

I finally remembered my password. Check out my blog, "The Persistence"

Earl

Seams Charming said...

Ahhh, yes, I love Sumatanga! It's where I learned that rocks live in families so don't pick them up and move/throw them, lol. I've taught that to my kids ;). I had to go through fat man squeeze every year. I loved dancing to the Buttercup and don't forget king tut and the stupid dance :). I've had so many wonderful memories there. My experiences at camp shaped a lot of who I am now and I am grateful for that.

JaniceFry said...

Add to that, GranJan aka Jan, ALSO met Christ there and Michael proposed to Kadie there. I would defy anyone to say they went more than the SMALL FRYS! LOL!!! I used to send the kids all summer long! YES, WE LOVE CAMP SUMATANGA!!!! Let's pray they get all the money they need to keep it going and that the SURPLUS (I think there will even be a SURPLUS!), will repair the old cabins and bathrooms. God DOES live in Sumatanga. I've walked in the woods many times with Him. (I did ask Him once why so many chiggers in the CHIGGER BOWL, however! Waiting to hear back from Him on that one! LOL!)...hugs jxxoo

Pandamonium Mom said...

Awesome post! I spent my younger years in georgia and had never heard of Sumatanga until I went to college - so I don't have camper stories. But in college, I was surrounded by all these people who kept talking about Sumatanga. And they tried to introduce me to king tut and buttercup and all that. And I remember thinking "what's the big deal?". And then I went there on a retreat. Many retreats actually. And I fell in love with the place too - I get the big deal now. And the chigger bowl - I can't count how many times my friends (who to this day won't take credit for it) moved my car into the chigger bowl in the middle of the night. ah, good times. Last summer I spoke to a group at junior high camp, and I took my kids with me. They played by the lake and went swimming and visited the cabins and on the way home, Hannah said "I WANT TO BE A CAMPER THERE". And I told her that I wanted her to be a camper there too - and she could in about 4 years. Now she has 3 more years to go - I'm praying it's there for her and for her kids and for her grandkids too! Great post!

lenwa said...

let no one say and say to your shame that this was a place of beauty til you came...

ahhhhhh! memories...

suppose, i was a camper, but now i hope i'm more a friend...love!

Vicki Watson said...

Amen! Thanks for sharing words so many of us have been thinking and speaking. I love your blog!!!
Vicki

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Megan:
OK...I'm sitting here with chill bumps running up and down my spine. At 13, my youth group took at winter's retreat to Camp Sumatanga in AL. I'm assuming this is the same camp. I've walked up that mountain, friend. I also gave my heart completely to Jesus one wintry night in the big assembly hall.

I've thought about this place a lot over the years. We made a couple of trips there as a youth group--always seemed to fall during the winter months.

Anyway, a quick glance at your blog, and I saw your reference to this post. Such a God thing...

We are connected in more ways than one.

peace~elaine