Thursday, June 11, 2009

My So Called Green Thumb

I don't know that I've ever mentioned it, but my back yard/deck is a work in progress.....

Basically, it needs a LOT of work and we are SLOW in the progress department!

We moved into this house 3 years ago (this past April), and, the pots that you see in the picture below have been empty ever since the DAY we moved in! Yes, you heard me correctly. For those of you who think I lead a perfect life (all 2 of you), I hope this shatters all your dreams!



I have had a burning urge to get my deck and backyard in beautifully livable order lately. I am on a MISSION, y'all!



I dug all my old terra cotta pots out of the garage and got them all ready for a day of potting. I also wanted you to see a before picture of my horrendously pathetic backyard. I want to make it a beautiful oasis for us. This will keep me accountable.....and I hope YOU will, too!


So, after a miserable 30 minutes at the local nursery (on one of the most miserably humid days of the Summer so far), the girls and I picked out some foliage for our porch pots.

What do you think? I think it fits our "treehouse" feel. I have plans to add a little "mommy" sitting area right there by the pots, and am going to pick up a couple of hanging plants to go on either side of the grill. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!




We even found some herbs to fill our smaller pots (see? around the grill?)....


And here's another little potted arrangement I created.

Pray they all live. I'm a little rusty!


P.S. For all my "followers".....do any of you have trouble getting my blog posts on your Dashboard Google Reader? I am taking a poll.....my domain has issues! Please let me know if my blog acts "weird" in your world! Thanks!!!

6 kind words:

Beth said...

Your blog has always been different...it never shows up in my dashboard and when I click on your link in my list of people I will follow it will not open. If I click view my profile and click on your link there (under blogs I follow) it will open. Also...I use i Google and have a Google reader up there. It will show your updates there. I hope that wasn't confusing and maybe it will help solve your problem.

gillian said...

love your deck in the trees! my sister has a screened in deck that's in the trees like yours...very peaceful! She has some glass hurricane candle holders on each post.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2201946

Charcey said...

Your deck looks great! but, but just in case the plants don't make it ... remember what Nanna (Megan's paternal grandmother) told me ..."You can't grow plants and children at the same time!" For me that proved to be so true.
I love you.
Mom

Amber said...

I can't get your posts in dashboard. I just check it every day! :)

Ginger said...

Yes, I have issues as well with the dashboard thingy. I have to go there directly.

Amy said...

Nope, can't get it either.
Porch is looking good!