Monday, June 1, 2009

Changing my expectations...

I may have been a bit premature in my especially optimistic post about the coming days of summer. What I mean is, I may have counted my chickens before they hatched.


This summer may not be quite the relaxed, laid back, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants experience that I had mapped out in this post. No, it seems I have my hands full.....





Or should I say my toilets full!
(and no, Daddy wasn't happy when he saw this pic!)

Greer has hit a whole new phase of toddler-hood. It seems I forgot how terribly exhausting busy this stage can be. See, before I'd even had time to take a good swig of my first cup of coffee this gorgeous first day of June, Greer had....

mounted the dining room table, splashed her brother's milk all over the living room carpet, spilled my fresh cup of HOT coffee all over the floor (and couch), and managed to drown one of Reeves' Gameboy games in the remaining contents of said coffee (I'm praying it will work again once it has had time to dry out)

Later, at the pool, I chased her endlessly around the pool deck, attempted to force her to enjoy the very expensive floatation device that she so loved last year, and rescued her from the men's room.....

Yes, I had to chase her out of the occupied men's room! It was a humbling experience for all of us!

So, at the end of a very busy summer day, I am tired. I'm just gonna let you know, up front, that this may be a sparse blogging season for yours truly. I'm doing good to brush my teeth 'round this crazy house! I'm just praying that I can get myself into a good, more relaxing groove. It's a challenge having every child around, all the time....but that's a post for another day!

I'm just too tired to go there yet! Night friends!



5 kind words:

James' Full House said...

I am with you, I am exhausted by noon. Braiden is wide open all day. The only time he is still is when he is asleep and he isn't the sleeper that Greer is. I would use that time to get "things done" but to be honest I crash with him. I am thinking it is time to lay down the law and get more strict with him.
I had one day a few weeks ago that went like yours....
Braiden ate my deodorant, got the water bottle and sprayed the kitchen floor to the point we are both slipping and sliding, poured my glass of tea (I had just poured and sat on an end table while getting things ready to nurse him)in the middle of my bed, changed him, nursed to nap, woke up, snack, bath because he is somewhat sticky from something?, I get ready to go and teach later in the evening, while he has climbed onto a chair and reached the pledge bottle and is using it like hairspray, no time to bathe again, go pick up children from school, come home wash his hair yet again, get Brennon ready for his ballgame, fix dinner, wait for Dad to get home so I can leave, Dad home I leave for work, teach my class after having issues with the podium and the computer, rush to watch the last 15 minutes of Brennon's baseball game, starts to sprinkle, get there score 4-11 we are the 4, watched a great comeback and overtime final score 9-12 we are the 9, but the fight was good so all OK, come home to get the children in the showers and ready for bed and school and what do I see in my closet.... My sweet baby boy has pulled my shoe organizer and the shelf down after I left for work.
What do you do? I'm NOT complaining I love him dearly and I love being a mom, but there are those days when you could really use a break or some help.

Brandi

Lindsay said...

oh dear oh dear oh dear! I know what you're going through - I watch an 18 month old just once a month and I have to watch him like a hawk! It's not like they are TRYING to be naughty (most of the time) - but they have new-found freedoms to explore! :-) My time is coming...again. I need to prepare! have a great week!

Bethany Edgeworth said...

I am with you! Just last night Leah put a pair of socks and a toy truck in our toilet. Of course, she was nowhere to be found after she did it...

Anonymous said...

Ha....so funny. Must be something about toilets lately. My darling little Riley threw Bradyn's hotwheels car in our potty and flushed it. Yes, flushed and it went. I must say I am impressed with that toilet. Now, try explaing to a three year old that his car is NOT coming back. It only took him 2 hours to regain his composure after the meltdown.
The wonderful joys of motherhood!

It Feels Like Chaos said...

I am with you! It is only weekday 3 of summer vacation and we are definitely having fun, but I'm tired!!! It is such a sad day when your baby begins complaining about being in the pool float! Last summer when my youngest was a year old was really hard but this summer he's two and a little better in the pool; more content to play on the steps with toys.