Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'm a Winner!!!

Note the gash above the right brow.  That one is the inspiration for this post.
The one on her forehead occurred later in the day (the result of a topple into a coffee table!)
I guess the girl takes after her Mama...Call her "Grace"!

I never want to give the impression that I am some kind of super mom.  Sometimes it is easy (and most rewarding) to post only my shining moments.  The kind of moments that were created out of happy children and winning parenting skills.  The reality is, those moments are closely followed by the not so winning parenting moments.  I try to find a healthy balance of discipline and fun, and to teach my children a lesson through their (and my) mistakes whenever possible.   All that to say....

This morning I had great intentions.

I started my day with prayers for each of the kids.  I've been trying to do that more and more (thank you Angie :).  Most days, before my feet even hit the ground, I pray for patience, faith, self-control, understanding, good times, and growth.....for all of us.  I want us all (including me and Chris) to practice those things throughout our days.  Today, however, started out especially difficult considering I could already hear the older two kids fighting in the den before I even opened my eyes good.  It was not going to be pretty.

I have a morning policy that most of my loved ones understand pretty well.  I don't like to make any decisions or have any important conversations until I have had at least 1 cup of coffee.  I know, I know....  It's just the way it is around this house!  Sadly, Lucy has picked up on this morning ritual, and she usually joins me for that very first cup (don't worry, hers is more milk than coffee).  Well, today, they didn't even let me get to the kitchen before I had to break up the first fight, and that never starts me out on the right foot.  I was determined to turn this thing around.  

Mid-morning, I decided to throw all the kids in the bathtub.  We have a party tonight, and it would be less hassle (plus, a warm bath is always good for turning their moods around)!  I quickly bathed Greer and got the big kids started.  After I dressed her, the other two were ready to get out and get dressed.  In the process, they proceeded to dump about half to the contents of the tub onto my bathroom floor, but I rushed them off to find some clothes while I cleaned it up.  

Two minutes later, I can hear them fighting upstairs (monitors are good for more than just listening to your sleeping newborn).  I ran to the bottom of the stairs and I screamed at the top of my lungs calmly asked them to come down.....NOW!  At that precise moment, I hear Greer screaming in my bathroom.  I run and grab her (she actually quits crying immediately) and return to the stairs where my naked children are patiently waiting on the third step.  Chris has heard the ruckus from his downstairs office and came up to help with the beating disciplining.  Just as we were doling out the punishments (no DS for Reeves and no "Max and Ruby" for Lucy), I noticed the blood.

Yes, I said Blood!

Greer had a gash just above her eye, right on top of her Port Wine Stain.  It seemed to be gaping a bit, and was oozing bright red blood.  LOVELY!!!  What a great mom am I!!!!

There I stood....screaming at the big kids while my baby was bleeding in my arms.  How's that for a winning mommy moment?  I know many of you can relate, or at least will feel better about yourselves by hearing such a story.  I live to serve, my friends, live to serve!!!



  

3 kind words:

Aspiemom said...

I love your strike-outs!

I think we've all mothered our kids in just the same manner, so you are still up for an award!

Anonymous said...

That picture is so sweet, although I'm sorry she's hurt herself. My cousin looked something like that after Thanksgiving a few years ago. Seeing a picture like that brings back funny family memories.

Happy New Year

Anonymous said...

I love your philosophy and transparency! You ARE a winner! I once heard on a Christian radio show (Family Life Today perhaps). The speaker said that a family should be a SAFE PLACE TO MAKE MISTAKES. I was absolutely dumbfounded! SAFE??? to make MISTAKES?? SAFE?? That made perfect sense. Humans WILL make mistakes and will experience life-long learning opportunities. If it isn't "safe" to admit weakness or failure, how can you learn? (Many kids lie, for example, because they get in too much trouble if they tell the truth.)

As I processed my own reaction to this question of "safety" in the learning process, I realized that in my family of upbringing, it seemed DANGEROUS to make mistakes. I think perfection was expected and recrimination for wrong-doing, let alone simple mistakes, was certain. I want to honor my father and mother, both in Heaven now, but there was too much pressure too much of the time.

All this to say, you are definitely on the right track and I applaud you heartily!! Good job.

Oh, and BTW, my kids' dad wrote some darling letters from "Flossy" and "Dentamina" the ....fairies. The kids could leave notes, too, if perchance, they wanted to request keeping the lost (uhem). If, for some reason the fairy forgot to leave a token under the pillow, I would rush in with (...) in my palm and sweep my hand under the pillow, announcing "It was here all along! I FOUND it!"

I love the name of your blog. I've been intrigued more than once and checked in to read your story. I don't have a blog but I'm Michal, immichal@yahoo.com if you wish to reply. And sorry for "anon." This system steals my password and I have to open a new account EVERY time I write! Any suggestions??

With you in the Light, Michal