Saturday, December 13, 2008

Makin' Memories!

Just so you know....I DON'T live for my son's "come aparts" and I DO NOT EVER plan to hurt his feelings.  However, I have succeeded in that not once, but TWICE this week!  Basically, I am having some sad mommy moments when it comes to my first born.  It doesn't help that he is just exactly like me and that when things don't go quite as planned....well, the tears may roll.  

Thankfully, he is easily distracted and off to the next thing in no time.  Whew!  I was feeling pretty awful about this latest blunder...and he was NOT impressed by me.  Not One. Little. Bit!

You see, I had really good intentions.  When I saw this lovely gingerbread kit last night at Target, I decided that it would be a fun "Saturday afternoon" activity for us.  I mean, who doesn't like a good craft that involves some sweet treats!?

When they saw it on the counter this morning, they were beyond excited.  They drove me crazy till I finally decided to dive in and get to it.  Isn't it a cute little picture!?  How hard could it be?


It even came with some snowmen and a tree for them to decorate and eat!  Yummmmy!

So, it started out just fine.  Chris helped me construct it with icing and our four hands.  We set the timer for 30 minutes (the time they suggested before starting the decorations so that it would have time to set and harden).

As soon as that timer went off....they came running.  So far so good!  

Until....

Well, it just wasn't as easy as it looked like it would be.  And when all was said and done....THIS is what our Gingerbread House looked like!

NOT quite as pretty as the version on the box.  Reeves had "first child, perfectionist expectations" for this sweet little gingerbread house, and well, this is what he got.  And it was ALL MY FAULT!!!  I WAS the one who put on the icing, and I was the one who couldn't get the red balls to stay on top of the door, and I was the one that couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out how to make icicles hang from the rooftop!  And I thought it was HILARIOUS!!!  I couldn't stop laughing...even while he was crying.  Lucy couldn't quit laughing either!  Reeves, however, never got the humor at all!

And, well, he cried a bit, and pitched a little fit, and went to time out, and then he forgot about it.  All I can say is.....I will NEVER forget the day that we made the really ugly gingerbread house, and I can't wait till the day when he will laugh about it too!

3 kind words:

Aspiemom said...

My son is a perfectionist, too.

Don't they know that it's the EXPERIENCE and not the perfection that makes it? Guess they have to learn that as they grow and mature. Personally, I think they SHOULD look like yours. It looks personal and not like a manufactured house! Maybe tomorrow he'll look at it and be proud, huh? Great effort, Mom!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

so cute! i personally love that the house looks like a kid did it!

JaniceFry said...

That is such a funny story about the g'bread house! Sounds like something that would've happened at the FRY house years ago. Probably with CHARLES. That's a FIRST CHILD thing! Perfection is the name of the game! HAHA! Glad you made pix, you can remind him of it when he's a lawyer (CHARLES! HAHA); doctor or Indian chief! Whatever he becomes, he'll probablhy always want to be the best but that's what those "first kids" do! I'm the BABY in my family so I would've thought it was funny(still do). Ah, but such is life. We need all kinds! I HAVE all kinds! HAHA....loved your story! hugs as always ! Mama Fry xxoo