Saturday, December 27, 2008

Our Days at Home

We're home for the holidays this year, and it has been really nice.  We usually travel up to see my parents (who are only an hour away), but this year we have totally been vegging out at home.  It has been really fun and relaxing.  Chris has been home a good bit, too, and we have really been catching up on our "family" time.  Because of our work schedules, we don't get a lot of time together (I work every other weekend).  It has been nice to have several days together at home.


The kids have played with all their new toys, stayed up late, stayed in their pjs till 2 in the afternoon, eaten breakfast at 10 am and dinner at 3 pm, slept in the den, bathed whenever they felt like it, and watched every Christmas movie known to man.  What could be better?

I know this sounds a bit indulgent.  I know that it sounds like I am a really permissive parent, but the truth is, I am so happy to see my children enjoying this freedom.  They need this kind of freedom every once in a while, and it is so good for them.  Don't get me wrong....they thrive on routine.  I know that there will be a point where enough will be enough.  In fact, tonight they fell asleep on the couch at 7 o'clock.  But, they are gonna love the memories of Christmas break.  They will remember the chance they had to eat Hershey's kisses at 9:30 in the morning, and take a bath after lunch.  THIS is what life is ALL about!

These are the days that I will remember forever and ever.  I love this time with my kiddos!  All that said, I know we'll all be happy to get back to our regular routine in a week or so.  Till then......


5 kind words:

Val said...

I TOTALLY agree! I just hated I was so exhausted from staying up until 2 in the morning a couple of nights before Christmas getting stuff done. By Christmas day, and still today...I am the one who has been exhausted and needed a nap! Hope ya'll had a wonderful Christmas!

Kruger Kids said...

I love reading your blog! Found you through "Bring the Rain" and "MckMama"...
What a blessing of relaxed time with your family, letting your kids just chill! We've been doing similarly for the last couple days, and I agree it feels simply blissful.
Blessings to you this Christmas season.
~janine

Kristin said...

There is nothing wrong with wandering around in your pjs until the afternoon during the holidays. My boys stayed in theirs until 3PM yesterday until it was time to go to their cousin's birthday party and I figured they needed clothes.

I love the laziness of the holidays and even the occasional Saturday here and there.

Sometimes during the warmer months we let the boys drag sleeping bags out on our screened in porch and "camp" on special nights when they don't have school the next day. They love it!

Aspiemom said...

I'm glad that you are building up such good memories.

We've always had a "no rules" day just before school starts. With the exception of not doing anything that can break or harm something/someone, there are no rules! Eat what he wants, no bath if he wants (eeewww!), play computer or video games unlimited, etc. Just no rules. He always loved it. During school vacations we are kind of like you are.

Aubrey said...

Linked here from MckMama. Sounds like you're having a great Christmas break!

I was reading about Greer's PWS and in one of the posts from October, you said that you didn't know how to embed video or use the strike through. I know how to do both things. Do you still need the information?

prosapiavita AT gmail DOT com

God bless!