Tuesday, December 30, 2008

To grandmother's house we went!

We just spent the past three days in the little bitty town in west Alabama where both my parents grew up.  In fact, all four of my grandparents still live there, and it is wonderful to be able to visit with everyone all in one trip (aunts, uncles, and all my grandparents).  To say that my kids love going there is truly an understatement.  They have a blast every time, and we should really do it more often.  

During the past 3 days, we ate some really great food (beans, greens, and cornbread were at the top of the list), slept in very comfy beds (thanks to my grandmother, Bubba, who makes the best bed in the Northern Hemisphere), and slowed down a bit (well, at least when Greer was sleeping).  It was nice to unplug for a few days (no internet access or cell service really makes for a relaxing time)!  In this New Year, I am going to try to go for a visit at least every couple of months....who knows how much longer I will have my grandparents (all four still married and living in their own homes) living like they are now.  It is such a gift to spend time with them and to have the opportunity for my children get to know them.  I am feeling immensely blessed.  Thank you God for Bubba and Poppa and Nana and Granddaddy!

And, well,  as for the rest of our free time...

Reeves has been doing a whole lotta this!


All three of the kids have been doing not enough of this!
(although I did manage to get them in the bath this morning for the
first time in who knows how long!!!)


And after they got all clean...we all enjoyed a gloriously beautiful day together!

It was sunny and warm and gorgeous!!  The big kids had a blast exploring all around Bubba and Poppa's house.  They hiked, climbed, and played in the mud (I actually had to change Reeves' clothes 3 times before we finally left to head home).  They climbed trees, ran, and slid down hills on cardboard boxes.  But most of all....we laughed. Reeves, Lucy, and Greer laughed and loved and spent time with their Great-Grandparents!  What a BLESSING that is!!!  

I just wish I had more pictures to share.  Turns out, great-grandparents houses are not exactly kid friendly.  I spent the better part of the past 3 days keeping Greer alive (i.e. away from stairs and gas space heaters) and attempted to keep their treasures intact!  Didn't leave a lot of time for snapping shots!  Maybe next time! 

4 kind words:

Amy said...

What a true blessing it is to have all four of the grands! I wish so bad my child could experience that blessing. Enjoy every minute of it and I am so glad you all had such a fun and relaxing time.

JaniceFry said...

Oh, you're so blessed to have all your grandparents still living! That is truly a blessing!!! My kids only have my mom living and she is 93 (which is why I have SOOOO many pix of her on my blog!!!). I'm gonna hold you accountable and remind you (when I see you next time in WalMart!), to do what you said you're gonna do--go visit and take the kids, to the grandparents! ....As far as pix? the ones you posted are darling! But, next time I also want to see your grandparents! love you muchly! mama fry xxoo
P.S. I thought Katie did a great job with my blog, too! (and saved me some $$$!)

Kristin said...

Such special memories your kids will have as they get older.

I can remember so many days of making mud pies and watching my grandmother work in her yard when I was a little girl. She didn't have a thing in the world from a material standpoint but that woman could make anything grow. I have a ton of irises in my yard from her home that I transplanted after her death. Every year when they pop up and multiply I think of her.

My boys have been playing the new Wii so much I am putting a ban down over the next couple of days.

At least there are lots of family games...bowling, baseball...we can play together. That is my justification for now! :o)

Aspiemom said...

Sounds like you had a great time with your grandparents. I love that shot of Lucy with her hands on her hips!!!