Thursday, August 7, 2008

What a Great Day!






The first day of school has come and gone, and another "year" is under way.  The kids (all three of them) had wonderful days, and I am just so very thankful for that.  It is quite stressful leading up to this day every year.  Will they like their teacher?  Will they make friends easily?  Will they get out of bed and get dressed without threat of beatings and deprivation!?!

It was so smooth, I am just in absolute awe!  Oops, let me rephrase that....

After we reevaluated Lucy's backpack situation, everything went swimmingly!  Yes, I made an assumption (and you know what they say about those)!  I assumed that Lucy would be cool with the diaper bag with straps like a backpack (since her new "big girl" backpack has yet to arrive from L.L. Bean).  Oh, my-my, was I MISTAKEN !!!  Lucy was NOT fine with it.  This massive breakdown occurred just moments before I was to take the obligatory first day pictures.  

"There's no crying on the first day of SCHOOL !!!"  Crisis!!!

I panicked!  I was running around like a wild woman, yelling at Chris to make her stop crying.  And then I found the solution.....my college L.L. Bean backpack.  The one that would absolutely HOLD Lucy!  I dumped out the contents, stuffed it with her lunchbox, change of clothes, and necessary other items, and we were ready.  Picture perfect in an instant!  Lucy carrying a backpack almost as big as she is,bearing the initials MER!  

After pictures, they were off....Chris drove them and I stayed home with baby Greer.  We had a great day, by the way.  All those things I mentioned in the last post (shower and coffee....) happened, and then we had lunch with our friends Kay, April, and Lori.  It was so wonderful.  

The kids shared so many stories with me this afternoon, and they both had a great day.  Thank heaven for a wonderful start to the new year!  Hope you enjoy the pictures, too!  Mrs. Anderson (Reeves' teacher) even sent me a couple from their day!  Did I mention that I love her!!!?  

3 kind words:

Unknown said...

How precious! I can only imagine what the first day of school will hold for us in a few years! Our little priss is already a mess, I just can't wait! You can add me to your list of "bloggers", however I know you exist! Anyway, the kids are adorable! I will check back from time to time....I, myself, am not a good blogger! I just don't have a lot of time to keep up, but I am trying to get better!
Mandy

Val said...

That was too, too funny about the backpack!! Glad the day went so well, I can NOT imagine the day when mine are in "big school". It just so happens that Mrs. Anderson (if it is Amy!?!?) lives a house away from me!! She is so sweet!!

Thoughts From Jeff said...

glad all went okay, we get a late start this year (aug. 25). the boys will be in 4th grade and bethany will be in k