Sunday, August 10, 2008

Chris Out of Town = Car Troubles

If you know me very well, you know that drama follows me!  I just think I am a magnet when it comes to complicated and comical situations.  Many people who are keeping up with this blog have mentioned that it is nice to read about someone who is experiencing some of the same things they are....some of those real life experiences.  From here on out, I am going to try to give you a little more perspective on my life as it happens....for better or worse.  It will be interesting for me (and enlightening) to go back and read some of these things later, and I think it may give you a few laughs (and maybe tears) along the way. 

Chris had an unexpected trip to Nashville last week.  The first week of school.  The week of Greer's treatment.  Not a good week to have to go out of town, but that's life, right?! 
The last time Chris went out of town (just a couple of weeks ago), there was a car crisis.  
MAJOR CAR CRISIS!
We have a Honda Odyssey and a really old (paid for) Jeep Cherokee.  We are really bad about keeping up with keys.  We have had only 1 key for the van for a while (only God knows where the others have gone).  It just so happens that the last time Chris was out of town, I lost that key.  
NOT GOOD!!!
The van had to be towed to the dealership, serviced, reprogramed, and keys remade....it was an ordeal.  Not to mention the fact that the kids were in bathing suits ready to have a great day at the pool when I  realized we couldn't go anywhere....I thought that was about the worst thing that could happen, no more car problems now that we have plenty of keys.
I was mistaken!!!
Last Friday, the second day of school, we had another car crisis. 
With Chris out of town, I had to do it all.  It was not quite as easy to drag the kids out of bed as it was on the first day of school.  I finally got them going, loaded in the car, and snatched Greer out of bed right at the last minute.  I had noticed that the car had been slow to crank for a couple of days, but didn't think much about it (stupid!).  This time, it chose to be DEAD as a DOORNAIL!  
I panicked.  I called everyone I thought could be home, with no luck.  I ran around the garage and said a couple of things I probably shouldn't have.  Then, I decided to start knocking on doors.  I ran up into the cul-de-sac at the exact time that my neighbor, Jeff, was driving up.  He managed to drive his car into my garage at the perfect angle (after a little rearranging of various riding toys) and jump my van off. 
I flew off in a blur, had to check Lucy in to school, and arrived home about 1 hour later.  Greer had been up for about 1.5 hours at this point with no food.  She was not a happy camper.  Turns out my car died again when we got home.  My friend, Kay, picked Lucy up for me, and when Chris got home he handled everything.  As usual. He is the calmness that balances out my drama!  
Cool, calm, collected.  
I, on the other hand, am not quite as cc&c.  I tend to turn into Linda Blair when things like this happen.  Opposites attract....I know!
So, Chris is going out of town tomorrow night.  Is anyone willing to be on call?  Better yet, will you come and spend the night with me?  
Just let me know what time you'll be over!!!

  

1 kind words:

Val said...

Oh sad Megan, if I had read this I am right up the road!! I'm going to email you my number JUST in case you ever need a "emergency contact" as they say on all the forms. It seems like you handeled it all with a lot more grace than I could have!