Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Peace



And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.   Philippians 4:7


Today was like the peace and stillness that comes after the storm.

It wasn't the best night we could have had, at least not from Greer's perspective.  She had a fit-full night, waking almost every hour.  I fed her at 10, and couldn't really feed her again after that because of the treatment today.  I "slept" in Lucy's bed most of the night, just to save a few steps.  Turns out, I simply prayed most of the night.  I prayed for peace and rest.  I prayed for God to help me to be less anxious and to be the kind of mom that my kids need me to be.  I prayed for my sweet baby Greer to have an easy day and treatment.  I slept a little, but mostly I just talked to God.  I knew I would be tired today, and I was, but I was at peace.  I had that kind of peace where you just know that God is right beside you.  I'm working on my "God Vision".  I want to feel this kind of peace all the time, and I know what it's going to take.  It is going to take me truly depending on Him....truly knowing He is right there in everything.  

I mentioned before that Mom was here to stay with the big kids while Chris and I went with Greer (thanks so much Mom....I don't know that today would have gone as well without you to help entertain them!  I love you so much!)  When I went to get Greer this morning, Reeves woke up.  I said, "Hey Buddy...go get in bed with Charcey.  We'll see you when we get back."  He raced up to me and said,"Wait, I need to give Greer a kiss....let me give my baby a kiss."  It was absolutely precious, and it just made my heart melt.  His love for her is so pure, so gentle.  

We made it to Children's South just in time (after a little fight about stopping for breakfast....), and we were quickly sent back to our room.  I must say, I was very impressed with the whole process.  The place is so nice and kid friendly....it put us at ease right away.  

As soon as we were alone with Greer, Chris wanted to say a prayer for her, so we did.  We held her, and he prayed.  His prayer made me all the more at peace....I am blessed to have a most faithful husband who is eloquent in his conversations with God.  I felt Him there with us, holding her up.  

It took a little while till they were ready for her, and just before we completely ran out of tricks to distract her from her hunger pangs, they came to take her away.  That was the hardest part....just letting her go.  I know it is a quick and simple procedure.  I knew that she was in the best of hands, but there is something about handing your child over to be put to sleep.  Again, I felt God with me.  Peace.

She was back in my arms in about an hour, and she was NOT happy.  She woke up kinda crazy from the anesthesia (which can happen) and she had a bit of vomiting in the recovery room (just like her mama), but as soon as she was in my arms she settled down.  She was in a druggy kind of daze (which she kinda stayed in all day....it gave all of us some laughs) and we were able to leave pretty soon after that.  

The purpura (bruising that occurs following the laser treatment) wasn't bad at all this time.  Not sure yet if that is a good or bad thing, and I'm a little perplexed about that....  Only time will tell what kind of results we will see.  Her doctor is amazed by the fading, and is pretty confident that she won't need too many more till we reach maintenance.  We'll see what the future holds with that, too.    

After a good long nap, she woke up pretty much her normal, sweet self.  She actually ate more today than she does on most days, and she napped really well, too.  In fact, she learned a new trick today.....rocking on all fours.  Isn't is just amazing how quickly they bounce back? If it had been me, I would have stayed in bed all day moaning and groaning.  

So for us, today was much more than a treatment day.  It was a day of reflection, of prayer, of peace, and of self discovery.  I am working on so much right now, and this sweet baby girl is a facilitator of God's love and grace.  I thank God everyday for giving me such a precious gift!

1 kind words:

Erin said...

Ahhhh...that part about Reeves with Greer made me tear up. He's a keeper.