Friday, August 22, 2008

Healing and Other Adventures

Well, we're all healing up pretty nicely around here! It has been quite a week at the Mileski House, and I am hoping to make it to work tomorrow and Sunday. I've had the crud (well, actually, we've all had the crud but I'm the last and the worst). It is a pretty quick bug though, and all that remains for me is a lost voice. It hit me hard and fast at work yesterday, and last night was not pretty! I had to teach a class on breathing and relaxation and let's just say, I'm pretty sure those mamas will opt for the epidural. It's hard to teach people how to breath when you can't pass any air through your nostrils. They felt bad for me and said it was OK, but I felt pretty terrible that I couldn't do my job! Today it moved down to my chest and I've all but lost my voice (which my children and husband love). I have mastered the "whisper yell," however, and think that if there was an olympic event for this skill I would win the gold!


I mentioned that we're all healing up, and that means Greer is all cleared up from her most recent laser surgery on her Port Wine Stain (and we will continue to see fading as it can take several months to see the full benefits of a treatment). She looks absolutely amazing, and I feel like this birthmark is going to all but disappear before too long. God Is Good....and it just feels like a miracle. Thanks for all the prayers and support!




Greer is also healing well from a nasty fall she took last Friday (yep, it was my fault and I have felt guilty, guilty, guilty). You can see the remnants of the scab on the top of her head. I let her topple out of her stroller onto the concrete. Luckily, she didn't bump her head (I caught her just in time), but she did scrape off that top layer of skin. It was one of those bleeding, weepy wounds that just makes you hurt! What makes it even better is that it was witnessed by friends and strangers alike at the neighborhood pool! There was no denying my parental downfall.....but at least everyone was sympathetic (and I haven't received visit from DHR this week)!


Chris and I got some "adult time" at his 20 year high school reunion! It was very fun and it was cool to be the youngest one there! I met some interesting characters, and of course heard nothing but what a great guy my hubby was back in the day (and of course he is still that same wonderful guy)! The kids enjoyed a weekend in Gadrock, and I got some much needed sleep. Greer is actually sleeping a little better these days...but that's not her only new trick! Check out these fine accomplishments!


2 bottom teeth
crawling on all fours
standing on all fours (butt in air...too cute)
clapping when you say YAY
playing "patty cake"
blowing some mean raspberries
eating chicken and pumpkin and yogurt and cheese (she loves them all...in fact, she ate half a chicken breast on her own tonight along with green beans, avocado, peaches, yogurt and sweet potatoes)! I think we'll break the 20# mark at 9 months!


Reeves and Lucy have had a pretty good week, too (they had the crud in Gadsden, and were well by Sunday evening). Lucy is singing me a new song everyday, and Reeves got some homework this week. We have nightly reading, an occasional math game, and flashcards. He loves Mrs. Anderson (and have I mentioned that I love her, too).


Oh, and Lucy told me today that she has a new favorite color! I'm partial to the blue-green crayola crayon myself!!

1 kind words:

Monica said...

Hi.
You commented on my blog and I came to look. My first thought was, I can't see where that baby has a PWS, so I went looking around and WOW! I'm amazed at how much her birthmark has lightened up. We got Reese at 2.5 years old and she'd had 5 treatments on her face. She's had 3 since then and will have another in October. We've only done 2 treatments on one of her legs and 1 on the other, due to some darkened towards brown on that leg where they can't laser it anymore unless it goes back to pink.

Greer gives the rest of us hope at how light these things can get.

Hugs,
Monica
http://kaijinsbigsis.blogspot.com/
Big sis to a Birthmark Beauty from China