Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tightwad

**Update** I have linked this from BooMama's site for "Before and After"  My before and after pics are at the bottom of the post (and you'll actually see the after FIRST...).  For what it's worth, I gave up on the CVS thing that I mention at the beginning, but maybe you'll be inspired!  Happy Day to you!


As you've probably noticed, times are tight these days, and it is kind of turning me into a bit of a frugal freak!  I am trying to find ways to save money in just about any and every way.   I am far from where I could be on the money saving bandwagon, but I'm making progress every day.  

Some of the girls I work with are workin' the system at CVS, and tomorrow I will attempt to join in on the money saving fun.  If you are interested in this phenomenon check out this and this.  How it works is about as clear as mud at the moment, but my colleagues assure me that once I've done it myself it will start to make sense.  If you have any tips or want to call and give me the Cliff's Note version, I would greatly appreciate it!  I am still a bit sleep deprived, and therefore still trying to regrow some brain cells lost to another precious baby!

I know I've talked about it a bit already, but one way I am really saving some money this time around is by making all of Greer's baby food.  It is amazingly simple, and amazingly more yummy.  She is eating foods that Reeves and Lucy have yet to try.  I thought I would give you a little visual inspiration if you decide it's for you.  I know that I am way behind the times with this one, and that many of you have done this for all of your babies.  But, if you haven't done it, and you have a new baby (or plan to)....I wanted you to see just how easy (and inexpensive) it really can be.  

Just a few little stats:
*1 ice cube tray full of pureed food is the equivalent of $4 in jarred baby food
*1 bunch of bananas (about 8 bananas) costs me less than $2 at Costco and fills 3+ ice cube trays
*you can buy a huge jar of unsweetened organic applesauce for about $3 and the equivalent in baby food would cost you 5X as much (same with yogurt)
*Greer's most favorite foods aren't available in commercial baby food packaging:  avocado, lima beans, broccoli, mango, pineapple, pumpkin with apples and cinnamon, blueberries, zucchini, nectarine, apricot, black eyed peas, cantaloupe, honeydew melon
*1 $5 butternut squash makes the equivalent of $12 of the prepackaged versions 

I could go on and on and on....

Check out my pics below, and the link over there on the side (under my favorite websites). However, I should really credit Angela with this enlightening!  She opened my eyes to how easy it really is (she's also a fellow foodie, and I love that about her!).  Thanks, Ang!

This is my current "stock"!

I label everything and put a date on it (it should be fine in the freezer for about 3 months).  5 Avocados filled this ziplock bag!  I have also figured out that 3-4 cubes equals a standard jar of baby food (when thawed).  I thaw the cubes in glass bowls until they are just melted (Greer likes her fruit cold and her veggies just a little warm).  

Another great thing about the cubes are the possibilities for mixing foods (making your own little recipes).  I mix peas and carrots, bananas and avocado, spinach and sweet potatoes, squash and zucchini, yogurt and applesauce (with a dash of cinnamon), lima beans and carrots, plums and peaches.....the combos are endless!

Individual cubes!

I just baked this whole butternut squash like you would bake a potato.  After about 1.5 hours at 350, I could just scoop it and puree it (I do add a little water to make it smooth and easy to blend)....soooo very easy!

Butternut squash in progress!  Notice the Magic Bullet (it's my secret weapon)!  I filled 3 trays with that one squash!

Hope this gives you some inspiration!  If I can do it, anyone can!

3 kind words:

Val said...

Okay, Okay, OKAY I may have to try this when the kiddos start school and I find time to do it...especially since I discovered that Rett likes things like refried black beans this weekend...we would probably love avacado...I don't even know how to cut those, much less puree it. I WILL need some help! Also, please fill me in on the CVS stuff if/when you figure it out- do you just print coupons?

Dareth said...

That sounds fabulous.

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

That is great! I have a friend who did this with her child and loved it.