Thursday, May 8, 2008

Lily's Home

After a week in the hospital, our sweet Lily is home.  She has had a rough time of it, and we are happy that she is pulling through this.  She lost a little weight in the hospital and we are hoping that she gains it back soon...she looks a bit like Skelator.  Her discharge weight was a pathetic 5.5 pounds!  

I forgot to tell you how Lily entered our life.  It's a pretty cool story actually.  When Chris and I were engaged, Lily started hanging out around our church (Discovery UMC).  Our church has big open windows just behind the stage area that are just above ground level.  At the time, there were no blinds or shutters on the windows.  One Sunday, just a few months before we got married, our district superintendent at the time, Jerry Sisson, was preaching at the church.  During his sermon, a cat was trying to scratch her way in through the window just behind the Altar.  I mean this cat was relentless.  Her scratching and pawing went on and on.  It was so distracting to both the minister and the congregation that the minister had to address it.  Jerry stopped in the middle of his sermon to say "Isn't it amazing how most people are just dying to get out of church, and this cat can't wait to get in?!"  Everyone thought it was hysterical.  
That afternoon, Chris and I had to go up to the church for some reason or another, and when I opened the car door, I saw the cat.  I said "here kitty, kitty" and in 5 seconds flat that cat had hopped into my lap.  
From that moment, Lily was mine!  I took her home to my townhouse, and let me say, my roommates were NOT enthused.  Luckily, they knew they only had to put up with her for a couple of months, and then Chris would get to deal with her.
One final note of interest....her name.  I have had several friends ask me why I would name such a dark cat "Lily".  The answer is simple.  I have always loved the name Lily, and when I found out that my last name would be Mileski, I had to put it to rest.  Too many L's!  You try to say Lily Mileski 5 times fast and see what you think!

1 kind words:

Huck said...

Meg, what's up. This is pretty cool you geek-wanna-be :-) I can't believe Chris' favorite pet is 10! Hope all is well in your world. Mill said she spoke with you the other day. Please pass a "hello" along to your other half. Take care!