Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Work....

....has kicked my booty lately!


Seriously!

I'm trying to decide if it's just because I'm getting older. ahem. I refuse to think of myself as old, but when you're working with nurses who were born in the mid to late 80's, well, you start to feel, well, oldish!

I have worked in the same high-risk Labor and Delivery unit since I graduated from nursing school. That was 12 years ago.....I can hardly believe it! Sure, I've done a few other things since then. I started graduate school right after Chris and I got married. I delivered our first baby just 5 days after graduating with my masters. I've taught for several nursing schools, practiced as a nurse expert, and coordinated prenatal education classes. I have been blessed to take care of every type patient you can think of (in the women's health realm) and I have loved almost every minute of it.

I really have!

It's interesting, and messy, and challenging, and amazing, and frustrating, and hilarious, and gross, and entertaining, and scary, and wonderful, and inspiring, and amazing. It's mostly amazing. And humbling. Yep, that too.

I have a great appreciation for what I am blessed with. Complete, utter appreciation for the life I live. Thanks be to God.

Nursing is a fabulous career....especially if you are a mother. If you are considering going back to school and you are a mom, I highly recommend nursing. You can usually find just about any sort of schedule that works for your life (believe me....I've done it all!) and you learn great skills that will totally serve you well in the adventure of raising children.

Don't believe me? Well, let me just tell you....my mother is a veteran nurse with experience in psychiatric nursing. Let me just say....her years working with mental patients served her well when my sisters and I were teenagers! Right Mom?! I betcha I'll be dusting off my psych textbooks in about 6 or 7 years.

Yep!

But lately I am soooo tired after a day at work. I do good to get out of my pj's or even get a shower. I'm fine with it though. Chris doesn't care, Greer doesn't care....shoot, she LOVES it, and I totally, completely love it! The big kids? Well, they appreciate it if I don't come to the the bus stop in the afternoon with my pajamas still on....I totally get that!

Today was an awesome day. I stayed in my pajamas till after lunch. I didn't even get in my car.

I did shower though. Just so you know.

I caught up on laundry and rolled around on the floor with Greer. We played on the porch (did I mention how amazing the weather in Alabama was today) and read gobs of books. We colored and ate popsicles. I drank a pot of coffee and talked on the phone with friends. I gave myself permission to "have a day"....

....yep, it was nice.

5 kind words:

lenwa said...

THAT is my kind of day!

i'm totally jealous!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I know what you mean! Sometimes I'm too tired to even shower at night after we get home. I wonder if we are over-scheduled, but honestly, I don't think we are. I just think with three kids and two working parents, you have to work harder just to allow your kids to do one activity each, while still getting their homework done and giving them a meal. I also totally agree about this week's weather ... we were DUE for a few nice days!

The Stokley Family said...

I "need a day!"
Glad you were able to fit one in! I'm shooting for Saturday!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Your "have a day" sounds wonderful! We all need days like that!

Lindsay said...

I had me one of those days on Friday, too! :-) PJ's are the bomb! Oh, and let's not forget the coffee.