Friday, August 14, 2009

My Angel

This morning I was a version of my worst self.


Absolutely-positively-horrible.

and that is the nice version if you want to know the honest truth

My voice was raised, my home was chaotic, my face was scrunchy.




And I rushed my children and raised their blood pressure.

There were no gentle words to start their days. No prayers for them. Only "hurry ups" and "I don't care if it feels weird" and "Why did you pull everything out of your backpack!? We have to GO! Y'all are going to miss the bus!"


We ran and we made it!

And I tried to make up for my awfulness in the 2.36 minutes before the bus pulled down our street. But it was too little, too late. And when the bus doors swung open, she clung to me.

And sobbed. and sobbed. and sobbed.




And then an Angel came.

She swept Lucy into her arms and held her and told her that she could sit on the bus right next to her all the way to school.




and I made a lonesome walk home. and I sobbed. and sobbed. and sobbed.




Grace.



"Mom? Lucy wants to talk to you!"


"Hey Mommy.....I love you. I'm having fun on the bus. I love you."


{biting hard on bottom lip so she wouldn't hear the tears in my voice} "I love you, Lucy. I love you baby. Have a great day!"



That bus-driver's wife {the one with 3 children who have all had a hard time getting into the groove of kindergarten. the one who made my sweet girl smile and laugh before she arrived at the school's front door. the one who called me while they were still on that bus to let me know that Lucy was laughing and that they decided the red headband was the perfect choice for that outfit} wasn't supposed to be on the bus this morning......but she was.

12 kind words:

Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

What a great God we serve! I hope she had a great first day!

Unknown said...

How great is our God to know just when we need those Angels to come our way. It's truly amazing how He works. This made me cry and smile!!!

Amy said...

WOW! Crying (and smiling)!!

christi@butterbeanandpeanut.com said...

Bless you and your babies! I am sorry you day started off on the wrong foot but God turned it around! Hope they had a great day!

Kathryn Anne (Kate) said...

Megan,

I LOVE your blog and this story made me cry and smile (so hard to make someone do)! You should be an author...I would totally buy your book!

Janet said...

That made me cry! We all have those days - so glad yours included an angel!

biker chic said...

amazing how those angels appear! but, remember, we are human, not divine so, lighten up on yourself! you don't expect your kids to be perfect, heck, you don't expect chris to be perfect so, why should you expect yourself to be? are you so much better than them?? and these are life lessons, to them and to you. if our kids have nothing but perfect childhoods, how can we expect them to cope with life?!!

Val said...

gave me chills!

Beth P. said...

What an incredible series of events. I'm glad she was there for you and your little one, who I am sure will have a great day.

Don't be too hard on yourself - those days are bound to happen!

B said...

What a great story. Glad I read it a couple days before school starts. Even if there is no "real life" angel I know God is watching my boy.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

How sweet and what a beautiful heart that woman has! Oh and by the way, give yourself some grace!

Rachel said...

That's so amazingly adorable! I'm so glad for you that she was there for your little one!