Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Year Ahead, Part 2

****Update****
I'm starting this today, August 5th....
It will carry us through the first day of school, one week from today.
Please join us :)

Just like the morning last week when I wrote "Part 1" of this story, I woke up today flanked by 2 of my 3 most favorite children on the planet. When did it happen? Who knows. I've gotten great at sleeping through the comings and goings of my bedmates (that sounds terrible doesn't it?) and I am just savoring every moment of these last few days of Summer.

No, they didn't start out in our bed.


They started out here.....


All snuggled up, with wet heads and each other, on a big air-mattress in the den....watching "Shark Boy and Lava Girl" (I know, I know....)

Last night I made a declaration that I pray I won't live to regret (at least it has an end in sight!). After bathtime, I announced that if they wanted to, they could sleep on that air mattress every night from now until school starts.

Watch movies, eat popcorn, fall asleep when they feel like it, invite friends over to do the same.....

Crazy?

Maybe. But I don't care. We have 2 weeks of Summer left and I want them to have a blast!

And, I've made another decision. One that I have carefully prayed about, and that I am so excited to begin. I hope you'll join me, and if you do, that you'll share with me later what happened when you did it. I am so looking forward to seeing how this will impact our school year for the better!

If you're like me, you know that it is essential to pray for our children. But if you're like me, life gets crazy and you feel yourself saying short little prayers like this....

"Dear God, please keep Reeves safe today.... I'd really prefer to avoid a trip to the emergency room this morning."

"Dear God, please help Lucy remember to say 'yes ma'am' and 'no ma'am' while she's over playing at Emily's house!"

"Dear God, please keep Greer from pitching a fit in front of the pediatrician today..."

.....and so on.

Sure, you find time for a serious, meaningful prayer every once and a while, too. You pray that they'll make friends at their new school and thank God for giving them a gentle heart. You pray that they will stay safe from harm and that they will grow up to be faithful followers of Jesus with a servent's heart.

But do your children know you are praying for them? Do you say any of those prayers out loud, in their presence?

I'll admit, I don't do it very often. But I want to, and I'm going to.

Will you join me?

One week from Today, I will do exactly what Angie Smith has done for her girls (and if you have time to catch up on her story....you will be blessed). I read her "Pray for Your Child" post/challenge months and months ago, and when I was praying about the school year ahead, God led me back to it. I can't tell you how appropriate it is for this time of year and for what I hope and pray for my own children.

I bought my note cards yesterday, and I am set and ready to go. This week I am praying about it and for my children. I will start the 7x7 prayer challenge next Tuesday and finish it up the day before the first day of school. I can't wait to see what happens!

So, click on the link above or on the 7x7 prayer button below.....




and let's see what happens!!!

What a privilege it is to pray for our children!


7 kind words:

Leslie said...

This is an awesome post Megan! I have been letting my kids sleep on the futon together in the playroom for the past week and they love it. I was also planning to look up those prayers from Angie's blog so thank you so much!! We send our kids into the battlefield every day during the school year, but I am praying our children will be fully armed with the Word of God to face anything the enemy sends their way! I am definitely praying right along side you! Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Laura said...

I love you so much, buttercup.
You inspire and motivate me, and I remember the air mattress and popcorn and movie days at the Rutland house like they were yesterday in the summers.
Don't ever stop!
I love that you will always be one of my closest friends in my heart no matter how far away we are.

Kristin said...

My two oldest like to drag an air mattress out onto our screened in porch and sleep out there. They LOVE it.

Hey...our church did Cardboard Testimonies this past Sunday and I thought you might like to see them.

www.ewestwood.org/CR

I was so proud of the people from my Celebrate Recovery group that were brave enough to participate.

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

Thanks girls! I love the support you all give me!

And LB.....

ditto, friend, ditto! I miss you so!

Nicole said...

Great post! I will pray with you !

Rachel said...

Awesome post! And what a great Mom you are to be so fun-loving for the rest of summer! That is so great!

I am going to try and read up on that prayer challenge - sounds intriguing!

Unknown said...

A woman after my own heart! I love that you're letting your kids sleep on the air mattress in front of the tv until school starts. We're doing the same thing! But we aren't using an air mattress, just good old sleeping bag for pad. :)

This is the first time to your blog. I hopped over from... well, somewhere, can't remember. :) I don't blog hop much - just run out of time, but I thought I'd do a little today - since it's still summer and all! ha!

It's very nice to meet you.
Lynnette
Dancing Barefoot on Weathered Ground