Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Wedding, Part III: The Reception




I never realized that a wedding weekend could be so absolutely thrilling for little kids....boy, was I wrong.  I imagined that they might enjoy it a little bit, but they would quickly become irritated with the fancy clothes, the adult conversations, and the late nights with no real "kid" entertainment.  


I WAS MISTAKEN!!!

This is how they saw it:  PARTY, PARTY, PAR-TAAAAAAY!

Each one had a favorite moment or two that stands out.  

Reeves couldn't have been more proud to be wearing a tie (see previous post), and to be hanging with the "boys".  My very cool and handsome male cousins made him feel just like one of the guys.  It made his LIFE.  Not to mention the fascination he had with the open bar (please get your minds out of the gutter!).  He was amazed that he didn't have to pay for it, and enjoyed drinking his weight in orange juice and sprite. 

If you know my Lucy, you know that (like her Daddy), she has a sugar addiction.  It is serious, and requires constant monitoring when we are at home.    So it probably goes without saying, but Lucy was all about the CAKE!  Actually, all of the little girls were obsessed with the cake.  I averted a major disaster when I stopped Caroline (my niece, the flower girl) from LICKING the groom's cake.  That was a close one.    

That reminds me of another funny Caroline story.  As I mentioned (and as you can see in the picture), all of the little girls were dying for the cake to be cut.  Lee (my cousin, the groom) told us that at some point, Caroline found him and told him that he "had to come quick, it was time to cut the cake!!!"  Lee promptly followed her to the cake and expected to find his bride, Meredith, and a large crowd awaiting.  

What he found instead were four little girls....no Meredith, no crowd.

Lee said, "Caroline, why did you bring me here now....where is everyone?"

"I don't know, but we want some cake.... you have to cut it for us!"  

They had to wait a little longer, but they finally got their cake.  I can tell you, it was well worth the wait.  I think Lucy ate about 4 pieces!

Then there was the dancing!  I mean, what is better than a big band and a twirly dress.  Look at the smiles on their faces.....PURE BLISS!  

I don't think it could have been any better!

As for Sweet Greer,  she slept through it all...


1 kind words:

Amy said...

The family picture is fabulous. You have such a beautiful family.