Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Check Up Time....X3!


Among about a million other things, this week included check ups for all three "kiddos" (as Lucy likes to say).  Maybe not the best decision in the world....but it couldn't be avoided.  We have been gone so much that it made it hard to fit everything in.  So this week it was.  I didn't want to do them all on one day, so I made Reeves' appointment for one day and the girls' appointments together on another day.  I had "hoped" to do them all separately in order to spend time with each one alone, but I just couldn't swing it.  It all worked out fine....crazy, but fine.  7 shots, 2 finger pricks, 2 "pees in a cup", and 2 lively conversations later....we're all "checked" out.  I say "2 lively conversations" because my pediatrician (Dr. Lillian Israel) is an absolute HOOT, and she just knows what to do with kids.  My kids are complete HAMS around her and like to show off all their "tricks"....it is pretty hilarious to watch!   


I must admit that I have been a bit anxious about this round of check ups.  It seems like every other week we hear of another sweet child being diagnosed with cancer.  We have been praying for several kids lately, and it has brought about many questions from Reeves and Lucy about sickness and God's plan and death.  Heavy stuff for a 6 and  4 year old, but important I think.  It is amazing to me how much they care....how genuinely curious and concerned they are.  It has made for many deep and heartfelt prayer times, and it has made me think.  I just CAN NOT imagine going through such a trial with one of my babies.  I know that God will only give me what I can handle, and I pray that if He calls me to face such a trial that I will face it with the grace, courage, dignity, and never-ending faith that the mothers of these children we are praying for have.   You Are AMAZING!

As for my babies, they are strong and healthy.  Of course Greer has her birthmark and all of the concerns we still have (and will always have) concerning that.  She is seeing great results from laser treatments (next week will be Treatment #4...her first with Anesthesia) and so far shows no signs of Sturge Weber Syndrome.  She will most likely have an MRI sometime after she turns 1, but we will just continue to pray for no signs or symptoms to appear (glaucoma, seizures, developmental delays, etc..).  So far so good!  God has carried me through this with "mostly" grace and calm and I know He continues to be right by my side.  The peace I have lately about this is just unbelievable....only God is capable of giving me this sort of peace.  

I'll leave you with the pertinent STATS:

Reeves:  6 years old
48 pounds (50%)
46 1/2 inches (50%)

Lucy:  4 years old 
  38 pounds (75%)
  40 3/4 inches (75%)

Greer:  6 months
     18 pounds 10 ounces (90%)
     29 inches (off the CHART)

 

1 kind words:

Anna said...

wow! ok...i can hardly manage 1 round of shots...i cant imagine taking 3 kiddos in 2 days! amazing! :) you're kids are beautiful! thank you for sharing about the bedtime routines! i know that will come in handy one day soon! hope you're family is doing well! i love your blog!