Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Vacation: Not what it used to be....




So, you'd think that I would have figured this out long ago, but vacation isn't quite what it used to be. It has been 6 years since I entered this new phase of life, but I am slow to accept my new reality. You sort of figure out that it's just like being at home, but with much better scenery and some company. Today, I did about 4 loads of laundry, fed the masses, kissed boo boos, picked up wet bathing suits off the floor, helped Rachel prepare dinner, cleaned up after several messy meals, broke up multiple knock down-drag out fights, stepped on Barbies and Crayons, and I got in some cuddle time before bed.

I said to my sister, Rachel, today, "So, when are we going on vacation?" Sadly, she said..."Why don't we go on a Cruise when Mom turns 60." That is 3 YEARS from now. I might need a "real" vacation a little bit sooner than that! I'm gonna see what I can do about that!
Even though I am longing for a total relaxing holiday. I know it will happen, someday. As much as I look forward to that day.... I do love my life now. I love the wet heads, the sticky fingers, the screams of "Mommy, Watch ME!" as they jump in the water for the 5 millionth time.....I love all of it. I love that Lucy gets brown as a coffee bean (even though I coat her with 30+) and Reeves burns after 30 minutes in the sun. I love that the bugs eat Lucy up "because she is so sweet" and that Reeves gets a red face as soon as he walks out in the Summer heat. I love how tired they are after a day of playing in the sun, and that it doesn't matter how late they sleep in the morning cause we have no real plans.
We vacation a little bit differently than most people I know. I don't really even know why I ever pack "real" clothes for our beach trips. We literally live in PJs and bathing suits. Going out to dinner is NOT our idea of a good time. We much prefer to cook in and hang out on the porch and at the pool. I don't wear makeup or jewelry when I vacation here, and I go home with lots of clean clothes...clothes I "thought" I might wear. It is absolutely heavenly. I have only been in the car once since Saturday, and I don't plan on going out anytime soon. Especially after our attempt at a night out to dinner last night....NOT such a fun time! Oh well, lesson learned!
So, even though it isn't quite like it used to be, it is still wonderful. I love being here, and I love that my kids feel like it is their home away from home.
My only issue is my wild boy (in the midst of all these girls). That is a whole other post. Stay tuned.....

0 kind words: