Monday, June 30, 2008

The Birthmark Lottery


If there were a lottery for birthmarks, Greer would win the jackpot. I just realized that I have never mentioned her other birthmarks here on the blog. Greer, as you probably know, has a large Port Wine Stain birthmark on her face/head/neck. With the miracle of modern medicine, it is fading fast! We are amazed.


I've never mentioned, though, that she has a couple other notable birthmarks. When she was about 2 or 3 weeks old, I noticed some tiny little magenta dots in a cluster on her back. Since then, they have grown rapidly into a rather impressive Strawberry Hemangioma. This is another type of vascular birthmark that is characterized by a cluster of bright red cells that grow rapidly in the first 6-18 months of life. I am grateful that this birthmark is in a much less prominent place, and most people don't even know it is there. I think it has reached it's maximum size (it hasn't really grown any in the past month or so), and eventually it should "involute" and disappear. This birthmark does not require medical intervention at this point, and probably never will.


She also has a new "thing" that I think is a birthmark, too. It is a light brown "line" near her left ear. I plan on talking to her Pediatrician about it at her 6 month check up. I'll be sure to let you know what she says.


Oh, and if that all weren't enough, she has lots of little "stork bites" that you can see in the pictures. I feel certain that those will fade with time as well.


I have decided that God just wanted to make sure He could find this gal in a crowd!

0 kind words: