Monday, June 30, 2008

Lessons in Baby Food Making

Things "making my own baby food" has taught me:

1. Be careful grating carrots....you might cut your fingernail off.
2. Never use a food processor with a 6 month old in the room. Not a pretty picture...she may never forgive me!
3. Spaghetti Squash is NOT a good choice when it comes to making baby food.  Butternut and Acorn Squash work much better.  
4. Publix has a great rice/veggie steamer for $9.99.
5. Homeade bananas are a million times better than jarred bananas.
6. Avocado is yummy if you mix it with a fruit like pears or apples.
7. Lima Beans cause a LOT of gas! Expect to be up several times the night you serve them! (Thanks Angela!)

8.  The Magic Bullet is well worth the investment!  I am in love with it!!

I mentioned in an earlier post that I am attempting to make most of Greer's baby food. This is a new adventure for me (and I know that many of you are reading this post and thinking how boring I really am...sorry!). If I must say so, it is rather fulfilling. There is great satisfaction in seeing a whole "something" go to a pureed "something" that your baby will eat. I haven't made every bit of what she is consuming, but here is what I have managed so far:

1. Avocado
2. Sweet Potatoes
3. Carrots
4. Canteloupe (by far her favorite)
5. Bananas
6. Pears
7. Butternut Squash
8. Green Beans
9. Peas
10. Mango

Greer is still eating commercial stuff too, but it's a start. My goal is to be making everything myself within a month. I'll keep you updated on how it is going (aren't you just so excited!)!

0 kind words: