Monday, December 7, 2009

The Unexpected....

Well, today didn't turn out exactly how I had planned....

...but, does it ever? One thing I've learned since being a parent is that you've always gotta be ready for the unexpected. Amen?

I had a long (and quite busy) weekend at work. Working 24 out of 48 hours gets harder and harder (but is more and more rewarding) as the years go by. Most of the time, Labor and Delivery is fairly slow on the weekends. NOT this time! I didn't notice if it was a full moon or not, but lots of Mamas were having babies these days. And I mean LOTS!



As my Sunday was coming to an end, I posted this on my facebook status:


"Looking forward to my "Saturday" tomorrow....it's been a busy weekend at work! I miss my own babies!"


If I believed in luck, I'd bet that this status update jinxed me for the night....what do you think?! All kidding aside, it is pretty funny, don't you think?

I had the perfect evening/day planned. I would come home from work, throw in a load of laundry, kiss my babies goodnight and pack their bags for another busy week at school! I would load them on the bus around 7 am, drop Greer off in carpool at Mother's Day Out, and enjoy a few hours to myself. A few hours to shop, organize, shower in silence. A few moments to ready myself for all the business of the week and to get my house in order.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

When I got home from work, Chris told me that Reeves had had a tumble at a birthday party earlier in the day. He was coming down an inflatable slide (head first), crashed into the end, and hyper-extended his neck. Reeves was in terrible pain (and stiffness) by the time I got home and I knew that he needed to have it checked out. After a quick call to my parents, we decided that it was best to call the after hours service....Reeves just wasn't himself.

Much to my surprise, they recommended that we call 911 and have the paramedics come out to evaluate him before heading downtown to the hospital. They said that neck injuries are nothing to mess with (go figure) and that we should make sure he didn't need a c-collar before we drove him in. May I just say.....Reeves thought it was pretty cool that the firetruck and policeman made a visit to his house! (Making lemonade, friends!) Thank you to my sweet neighbors, the Holdens and Elrods, for checking in on us. Chris was happy to snuff out any neighborhood drama by explaining that it was NOT any sort of domestic incident...

...thanks for clearing that up, Chris. I know they were worried! :) JK!

So, the good guys at the Hoover Fire Department arrived in record time, gave us the Ok and and sent us on to Children's Hospital.


Where we waited.

and waited.

and waited some more.....





...poor Reeves was passed out by the time we were finally seen (and we were in the higher priority category.....I felt sorry for all those other children waiting to be seen!). The verdict? Bad strain/hyper-extension. Heavy doses of anti-inflammatory meds, limited physical activity for a while, rest, and TLC.

I can handle that.

So, we got home around 2:30. Crashed. Slept in. Ate a good breakfast. Drank coffee and hot chocolate. Watched Elf. Followed up with our pediatrician. Skipped school. Stayed in our pajamas all day. Were all-around lazy.



So maybe the weekend was crazy, and last night was not very fun....

.....but today is what memories are made of! I love any excuse to stay at home in my pajamas with my babies!


6 kind words:

Heather of the EO said...

Oh my! I'm glad Reeves is OK (for the most part)

And yes, PJ days are the BEST!

Chris Goins said...

Thanks for the update, Megan. Thanks for reminding us of the stuff that really, really matters. God's best to you, Chris and the gang.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I am SO glad that Reeves is doing well. This time last year I was in the hospital with Jake and his RSV, and I was so worried. It's always worse when your kids are sick than when it's you, yourself! Praise the Lord that Reeves didn't suffer any serious injury. I'm sure your thoughts went straight to Jen and Alan's situation ...

Anna said...

i'm so glad he's doing ok! hope yall had a restful day full of recovery!

Faye said...

Hello my friend. Just stopped by for a visit.I glad things are as well as they are.Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad he's okay! Neck injuries are scary. And how fun to stay in jammies, skip school and watch movies with mom! You rock.