Thursday, February 4, 2010

Big Girl's heading to Duke!

****UPDATE! ****

Our Duke treatment won't be till March 22nd! Just be in prayer for
us till then! Thanks so much, sweet friends....

Playing in the Hotel Shower
January 9, 2010


We went for Greer's two-year-old check up today. It's crazy to me to think that she has been a part of our little world for over 2 years....CRAZY! She is such a blessed ball of joy, I can't even stand it! All wide open and curious and into everything. I think the best way to describe her is BIG! She sleeps big, she eats big, she loves big, she laughs big, she runs big, she grows BIG! In fact....she is the height of the average 3 year old!!! Off the charts for a child her age. I could just eat up all 33 pounds and 37.5 inches of her! Oh, and did I mention how BIG her feet are? In the words of my pediatrician....."those are Sasquatch feet!"

I caught my pediatrician up to speed on the current state of the birthmark treatments, so I thought I better catch all of you up, too! My last post on the subject was back in the fall when we were trying to come up with a game plan. It's kind of a long story, so here's the link if you want to catch up. We had some big decisions to make and we have prayed and worked through all of our options. I am still planning to write some letters to the "powers that be" here in Alabama, but for now we must travel out of the state to get what she needs.

We had a few options (California, NYC, or North Carolina)....but we decided that traveling to Duke made the most sense for us. Dr. B comes highly recommended, and we are blessed to have a home away from home in Raleigh. My precious Amy moved there last Summer and will host us for the long weekend. I'm trying to think of it as a little vacation and a good excuse to spend time with my beloved friend! I feel an amazing peace about all of it and know that God's plan is unfolding before our very eyes.

Greer's birthmark has shown remarkable fading through all of this, but we have seen significant darkening over the past 6-8 months. Last summer she had close to 75% fading, and now I would say it is more like 50%....some days it's darker than others. NOT traveling to seek better lasers is not an option for us. I want to know that I did everything within my being to maximize the chance to remove this birthmark. So we go. and we continue to pray. and we continue to praise our Heavenly Father for the opportunities he has given us.

As we were leaving the doctor's office this morning, I noticed a young hispanic mother with a large facial PWS. It was dark, dark purple with thick tissue in places. She was a beautiful woman. She seemed happy and confident, and I wanted to get to know her. I wanted to ask her a million questions, but I knew she would think I was crazy. I prayed that if Greer's birthmark never faded even one little bit more and if it eventually became as dark as the one on that lady's face that she would be just as confident and lovely.

I prayed that Greer's BIG, beautiful spirit would shine as bright as it did back on this day. This is a day I will never forget. This is a time I will treasure forever. I really don't think I could love a little soul any more than I love my Big Girl!


4 kind words:

Jennifer said...

I will be praying over Greer and your family during this time.

My son was treated at Duke for GI. While I don't know the Dr you will be seeing, I do know that Duke has amazing, wonderful and caring staff and the Dr's there are GREAT.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Praying for you all! And I have great confidence in everyone at Duke. I know it will be an uplifting experience for you guys!

Anna said...

praying for safety on your trip, wisdom for the doctors and peace for you and Greer! many hugs!

Kristin said...

Hope it all goes perfectly to plan. Praying for you to have peace and the doctors to have wisdom as they do what is best for Greer.

Hey...tell Keith that Kristin from Active Services said hello and I hope he and his family are well.

Wow...Colin is 19 months old and weighs 32 pounds! He's 31 inches tall so he's a big boy. :o)